Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Penny For Your Thoughts

The 95......ok, so it's an auto.

The '01........very little will swap from your current XJ, if much of anything........

Hmmm, 2000 for a '95 with nearly 200k on the odo. I picked up my '01 Limited with 94k on the odo in April for 5500. Most '95s in my area are going for 1500 or less right now with between 150k and 200k on them.

I also don't blame you for having the interior color break the deal. Off the top of my head I've walked away from 6 XJ's that didn't have the color combo I was looking for. It's your vehicle, that you have to drive everyday, get what you want. Be patient, it'll work out for the best.

IMHO, I think that you should get the newest, lowest mileage, best-priced XJ you can find. If it's going to be a daily driver, and see only easy/light trails, then I honestly wouldn't concern myself with which rear axle it has. 8.25's are a dime a dozen and can always be swapped in later on if it gets to a point where you need a beefier axle back there. I personally love the '97+ XJ's because of the additional creature comforts they have, dual airbags, and updated interiors. They're equally as easy to work on as the '96 and older XJ's, and last just as long.

As for the durability and longetivity of the AW4 (auto trans), I'd say that it's nearly as bulletproof as the engine. It will easily last 300k miles as long as you change the fluid regularly. Adding a tranny cool will definately help it live to its fullest potential.

The 5-speed XJ's are harder to find as well, so if you're looking for something to get sooner than later, you may not want to limit it by transmission type.

Just my .02, I wish you alot of luck in getting something you'll be happy with
    Dave

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ, Built & Caged

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12