Thread: Noisy lifter giving me head aches!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Noisy lifter giving me head aches!

I am just gonna do a head swap, 425 with gasket kit. I think I could get it done in a weekend if nothing goes horribly wrong. WE SHALL SEE

Default Re: Noisy lifter giving me head aches!

Keep in mind that a reman head won't come with lifters, you'll need to purchase those separately, those are down in the block. Get some good assembly lube as well, gob the lifters up well, and follow cam break in procedure once you get it back together. Read the instructions that come w/ new lifters - you may need to soak them in oil overnight before install so they fill w/ oil. Finally if you have the head off if you need a new header now is the time to do it because you're going to be pulling the intake and exhaust anyway. Now why AMC didn't put side covers on the block, I dunno, I guess the 258/4.0 was always intended to have hydraulic lifters so there's no real "need" for side covers, but having to pull the heads to replace lifters is a PITA...

I've been closing my ears to the same issue my heep is parked in the driveway right now though because I'm still addressing a lot of PO-inflicted minor issues and adding some accessories and it's not my DD (most notably, hacked up door panels and poor stereo installation, also adding fog lights and cruise to make this an all-weather driver) Once I get that all done though I hope the MMO does the trick and I don't end up pulling the head
    Last edited by N8N; 02-26-2012 at 08:06 AM.