I'm not really wasting water. I collect a ton of rain water to wash my car and water the veggie garden. I switched my lawn out for native plants and don't ever water my lawn. I also employed a grey water system into the bathrooms. So the water that I wash my hands with fills the toilet.
Of all the monthly bills I got. The water bill is what killed me the most. I have these crappy low flow toilets. But they don't put that big of a dent in bill.
I've got a tiny house, so storing bottled water would require me to add onto the house. So I went with a RO. I'd love to RO the entire house. But the price on the unit was more than I could afford at the time.
I'm not sure how your getting such acidic water. The ph should be somewhere around 7-8. Which is alkaline. I live in Oakland, Ca. We have EBMUD for water maniciple. They put reports on their website everyday or week of what they test water at. I think it tastes like crap out of the faucet. The ph this summer 8.2 but out of the RO it's 7.4. When I refridgerate it is when it tastes the best.
I too drink more than my share of beer. The breweries around here use RO water b/c they want a certain ph and no chlorine.