Thread: Prestone Universal Flush and Fill Kit to flush radiator

Default Prestone Universal Flush and Fill Kit to flush radiator

I'm thinking about buying the Prestone Universal Flush and Fill Kit to flush my radiator and wanted to know your opinions.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AFKIT0-Universal-Flush-Fill/dp/B000CCFY5W"]Amazon.com: Prestone AFKIT0 Prestone Universal Flush and Fill Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DsGPktYAL.@@AMEPARAM@@31DsGPktYAL[/ame]

I've heard mixed reviews on the leaving the T on the hoses because it can melt.

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Default Re: Prestone Universal Flush and Fill Kit to flush radiator

I used one of those kits a few weeks back and will never again. Its probably not due to the kit, more likely my xj that has the problem. I installed the kit and began flushing with a garden hose. Then i cranked it, it began showing very bad signs of a blown head gasket. I ripped the hose off and it began to return to normal. So far it has been ok, I'm glad it didn't toast the bearings, bend a rod, etc. Again, probably a pre-existing condition but it wouldn't have done that without that kit. If you do use it try not to put too much water pressure with the garden hose.

Wow that's really strange....I want to try it but not sure now...

Has anyone else tried this kit?

Sorry to be negative. I'm sure it wasn't the kit, and in fact before that i used one on my bronco 2 with good results.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I've used the prestone kit for years, on many different vehicles, with no problems at all. I have one to install on da lizard now. If you are worried about water pressure, just go to Home Depot and get a water pressure regulator, you can find them in the area for sprinkler systems. These reduce the pressure to 40 psi.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I've never had any issues with the kit and my personal opinion is they work great.
    Very easy to install and helps get the crap out of the engine block before installing new thermostats, water pumps and radiators.
    Worth every penny if you ask me.

Here's a picture from last summer of me using it before my radiator swap.

Quote Originally Posted by cantab27 View Post
    na bro...thats me................................................ wig on and my man boobies bra working...................................oh dear
    The Fleet:
    1986 Comanche X - Parts Rig
    1988 Comanche Pioneer - DD
    1991 Wrangler - Wife's DD
    1991 Cherokee Sport - Back in the saddle!
    1993 Cherokee Sport - RIP Old Friend!
    1995 Cherokee Sport - Parts rig

I've had one on my car for years. I believed the cap may have heat cracked after a few years,or either I lost the cap and replaced it with a soda cap that cracked. (soda caps fit in emergency but are definitely no good) make sure you're using the right heater hose,(you want to back flush to engine) and I think I read somewhere that after the initial fluid runs clear (that you have to contain to prevent tainting the environment. ) to drop lower radiator hose for complete flush also don't open heater on initial flush I hear it pushes gunk into the heater core,don't use too much force for same reason. Don't know about the validity of these things but I go by them. figure couldn't hurt. Main thing is don't just flush radiator make sure you flush engine block if possible. Hope this helps. Lord knows enough people have helped me. And don't forget to burp the system.
    Last edited by Klaatu55; 11-22-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Addendum

have one on mine with no problems, have not done the flush and came with it when i bought it

had that happen with my dodge found out i had some junk in the cooling system that when i turn on the water to back flush it fliped up and blocked the flore.then the waterpump started to bog down.fixit by removing all hoses and therm. and freeze plugs and shuving a hose in each one until we found it.