Thread: Optima Battery

Default Optima Battery

does anyone know what Optima battery fits best in an 88 XJ? also i was looking for a yellow or blue top, anyone using either?

Default Re: Optima Battery

I can't remember what group the XJ is supposed to have, but I currently have a red and yellow top in mine. yellow and blue are both good batteries.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I have had very little luck with the red tops,... Replaced at least 2 in the last few years , maybe the yellows or up are better
    Stock:
    2007 SRT8 Grand Cherokee w/2008 upgrades
    2004 TJ Rubicon
    2000 Cherokee Sport 2 Dr - Donor
    2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo
    1990 Comanche Eliminator
    1990 Comanche Sport Truck
    1989 Comanche Sport Truck
    1988 Comanche
    1986 Comanche Metric Ton Turbo Diesel
    1989 Cherokee Chopped Comp Rig

and thats just the jeeps

WWW.RACINGFORTHECURE.CA

I had a red top that went with my 2000 XJ when I sold it. Going on 6 years at that time..

WEll we use Optima batteries in all of our equipment and most of our vehicles on the flightline with the USAF, so must not be too bad..
    I have owned a red top that was in my wife's Tiburon for almost five years with a full audio setup on it, that ran two fairly large amps any time the car was on. Even powered the system through a few competitions and was still working flawlessly the day we sold the car, and from the current owner tells me it is still providing awesome power almost three years after that.. so now sitting at 7years of use.

I had a Yellow top in my 00' Cougar which provided great power for 5 years, and then sat for over two years, and still started the car. I will be purchasing a Yellow top for my XJ as soon as I have the money to spare, or my current battery dies, which ever occurs first!!
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

yeah i have a red top and its doing great!
    6.5'' Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich M/T's, 15'' Cragars Beadlocks, Rusty's TBS, A.A. SYE, Optima (red top) Battery, CB Radio w/5'' Fire Stick Antenna, Flowmaster Super 44 Dual Custom Exaust, 4 Cheep 2'' Bumper Lights, Custom Front bumper /w Stinger, Yakama Bike Rack, Garmin GPS, Kenwood 6.5'' Indash Radio, 4 6.5'' Kenwood Speakers, 12' Alpine Type R Sub In Custom Jeep Enclosure, Alpine mono Amp, Ect.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

The red top is a cranking battery or just for starting. The Yellow top is a cranking/deep cycle battery which means it will take recharges better than a red top. The blue top is a marine deep cycle battery designed for trolling motors and so on. I'd go with a yellow top if your planning on having things like aux. lights that may be on when the engine is turned off. My plans are for two of these located where the rear seat used to be so they are out of sight and no battery is in the engine bay.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

i put a stowaway (marine boat) battery from academy in my XJ. 58 bucks and it works great. 1000 amps and 800 CCA. I had one in a boat of ours that was 7 years old and died, went in and they replaced it for free. LOL

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I have one of those in my boat for the trolling motor and fish finder, works all day just great, recharges pretty fast too. the only reason I will most likely be using the optima or similar is because I may be mounting them on their side to get clearance.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I wanted a yellow top at the time but bought a red top instead. Since we have a 1999 Jeep now as finances allow I may get a yellow top for the 98 and move the red top to the 99.

Hmmm I'll have to get a trickle charger for the Interstate battery and keep it for something, maybe a good jump start battery.

Would the blue top be better than the yellow?
    99 XJ Sport
    97 XJ Sport
    Brisbane Jeep Club
    http://brisbanejeepclub.com