Steve,
Understood man. A torch can do just as much or more damage if used incorrectly. I did forget to mention that part of the process was to wrap a piece of damp welding cloth or blanket ( fireproof woven glass cloth ) around the shaft on either side of the inner race to protect the shaft before heat was applied. Torch/heat was focused on the race and kept the shaft cooler. The difference in temp. between them is the most important part of the removal process.

We used abrasive cut-off disc's with a small air grinder to make two cuts in the outer race 180 degrees apart then hit it with a BFH to remove it before the heating part. Bearings themsleves are not much of a problem to remove to get to the the inner race after the outer is off.

I understand too how difficult the outer race and bearing can be. Have had a bloody nuckle or two in my time. The hard metal can be like a razor blade if cracked. Haven't and don't want to experience a severe cut myself or have it happen to anyone else for that matter.
Later,
Dave