Thread: Fuel Pump Not working

Default Fuel Pump Not working

hello everyone ...and Ty to everyone who has helped me in the past. It IS appreciated. ...But now, 5ish days into driving it ,after having a "chassis lube" at wallyworld done (grease fittings,Differential) it was parked & when i went out to leave, It wouldnt start. It would crank over forever ...but upon further investigation...I noticed the Fuel pump wasnt kicking on when I turn the key on. Am I right to think its either a Fuse in the fusebox ,or that square relay thing next to the battery? SUPPOSEDLY its the 2nd one back from the front of the vehicle. ? I will be checking back Often ,because I am flat out of service till i get this figured out. Hope its something simple!

Default Re: Fuel Pump Not working

I read this page, I did the lil Test using jumpers going from 85 & 86 in the relay slot to the battery and all i got was a little click sound. I did not hear the fuel pump kick on though. Theres several wires going to THAT relay (2nd from front) I think Orange might be one going to the pump but not sure.Thinking of maybe directly hooking up a wire Pos. to it & see if it engages teh fuel pump maybe. Any thoughts or ideas on this? besides Be Careful? lol

there should be another relay in there you can swap like for the horn or something to see if it is in fact the relay, also if you turn the key on, you cn always test the voltage through this orange wire with a voltmeter to see if its getting 12v

The wires going into the fuel pump should both be hot when you turn the key on. The plug can be disconnected. Have someone turn the key on while you are checking with a test light or volt meter. If one is dead and your gas gauge works, work back wards and go to the relay. Make sure the #30 pin is getting power.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I need a Volt meter! Having a jeep,its almost a Must have. I dont have a test light either. I did jump across 30 directly straight across & i did hear it click & then about 2 seconds later click again. Im assuming thats ON then Off hoepfully. ....I just went & bought a New Fuel pump & Screen. Dreading the installion though,but Im trying to Psych myself up to go out there & Do it! Any pointers anyone wants to share before I start? i know disconnect the battery,then disconnect the 3 wires from the pump & ground, then use a hammer to lightly bump the big metal ring COUNTER-clockwise & remove that. ....thats whare i will be learning as I go,so to speak.

Got the Lockring Off the old fuel pump,but the pump ,even though it will move,it will Not come out!! Ive looked it over & wiggled it around & worked at it for li8ke an hour and it will not slip out past the big metal outter ring with a few tabs on it. Theres about a 16th of an inch movement,but the steel tabs prevent it from coming out. I have to get this thing going,I have no other means of transportation. ANYONE? what all instructions say remove lockring & 2 fuel lines & remove pump ......HOW? it wont pull out.!

It will. There some alignment tabs on it. Make sure they are there in the slots where they are on the outer ring.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Ty. But the Pump itself doesnt turn to where i can align it to pull it out. I dont wanna brake anything but .slap outta ideas here. I see the 2 tabs,but the pump will wiggle around,it just doesnt turn. Is it suppose to?

Good lord this old Fuel pump is long! Thought id never get it out in one piece. Its Out, BUT the wires are still attached. I see no way of accessing 2 of them,because theres a cover plastic piece,that doesnt seem to wanna come off.

When you replace the pump, you might need to make some new connections. It is OK if they are exposed to gasoline
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

As long as the Battery is disconneted hehe. I hate this part. Huge hole filled with gasoline & Im down there trying to not bump things under the truck. I hate it! damn pump is huge & akward doesnt make it any easier.

Welcome to the club, done it many times
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

One major concern i have is, now that Im to the point of the pump Out of teh tank,yet still attached by the 3 wires, Hoping when i remove the wires i dont get a spark of any kind. I have the pigtail unhooked,Plus tee battery unhooked plus the relay removed. But Still THIS project ...Id have to say has been the most stressful. ugh~

If everything is unhooked you won't get any sparks
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers