Thread: Broken Crossmember Bolt

Default Broken Crossmember Bolt

This is one of the last things i have to repair and i don't know how to approach it! i tried drilling it out but had no luck so far. did anyone have this problem and how do i go about fixing it? Thanks guys!

6.5'' Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich M/T's, 15'' Cragars Beadlocks, Rusty's TBS, A.A. SYE, Optima (red top) Battery, CB Radio w/5'' Fire Stick Antenna, Flowmaster Super 44 Dual Custom Exaust, 4 Cheep 2'' Bumper Lights, Custom Front bumper /w Stinger, Yakama Bike Rack, Garmin GPS, Kenwood 6.5'' Indash Radio, 4 6.5'' Kenwood Speakers, 12' Alpine Type R Sub In Custom Jeep Enclosure, Alpine mono Amp, Ect.

Default Re: Broken Crossmember Bolt

What year is your XJ? I've got a '95 and it as some plugs in the floor underneath the carpet. Do you have access to a welder? Drop the crossmember (support the tranny) to get room, slowly weld on a the end of the bolt. be very careful not to weld the body. You can try using vise grips to twist it the bolt out or after the stud is there, plug weld a nut on. The heat developed from welding with help with the removal. Also it might take a couple times to get it out. Also soaking it with PB blaster/keroal a couple time before won't hurt.

Default Re: Broken Crossmember Bolt

ok cool! ill give it a shot polarxj!
    6.5'' Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich M/T's, 15'' Cragars Beadlocks, Rusty's TBS, A.A. SYE, Optima (red top) Battery, CB Radio w/5'' Fire Stick Antenna, Flowmaster Super 44 Dual Custom Exaust, 4 Cheep 2'' Bumper Lights, Custom Front bumper /w Stinger, Yakama Bike Rack, Garmin GPS, Kenwood 6.5'' Indash Radio, 4 6.5'' Kenwood Speakers, 12' Alpine Type R Sub In Custom Jeep Enclosure, Alpine mono Amp, Ect.