Thread: how do i read my tire tread depth?

Default how do i read my tire tread depth?

Ok I used a tire tread guage on my tires but i don't know what the numbers mean. One tire was .11 inch(2.8mm),number 2 tire was .27 inch(6.8mm), tire 3 was .25 inch(6.4mm), and tire 4 was .33 inch(8.6mm). If someone could help me that would be great.

The tires are trail cutters. I have no clue why it posted twice but sorry for that.
    Last edited by greenchevy; 04-04-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Default Re: how do i read my tire tread depth?

Does your gauge have 30 seconds? the one I bought has like mm 30 seconds and something else. usually what they go off of is the 30 seconds. two 30 seconds is 1/16th on a tape measure. In Utah to pass safty the tire has to have more then 2,30 seconds. hope that helps.
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Nope I'm still clueless. Thanks anyway. It is a digital gauge.

What are you wanting to know exactly, if the tires need to be replaced?

BTW, alwaysXJ, you made sense to me But I live in UT as well.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

dang man, your tires are not wearing evenly at all. The numbers mean how much tread depth you have left. 2/32" is where most states will deem a tire as worn beyond safe, which would be around the 2mm mark. The thing that has me curious is how you could have One tire art 0.11 inch(2.8mm), Then #2 tire .27 inch(6.8mm), then#3 be .25 inch(6.4mm), and tire 4 at .33 inch(8.6mm) these are seriously out of whack. at the least you should have the front two be at least very near each other and the back two near each other if not almost the same as the fronts. Did you buy these used? or New? if new you need to get your jeep checked for caster/camber and front/ back alignment at the least.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

If you are wonderin about them passin inspection I have have always been told the thickness of a dime is the least you can have for tread left on tires to pass. Hope that helps ya.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

Man that tread wear is unusual, I've never used a gauge to check the depth, we would use a penny turned with Lincoln upside down and if the top of his head was visible, it was time to replace. Also some tires have a wear indicater bar across the tread, when the bar is visible it's time to replace.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

The penny thing works cause it is 2mm from edge to the top of lincoln's head. the tread bars are put in so you can see when you are at 2mm of tread depth. The DOT now advises people to install new tires at 4mm of tread depth. The uneven tire wear is a bad sign of what's going on with the undercarriage. I would start checking all the bearings, caster, camber, ball joints, tierod ends etc.etc. Something is worn somewhere.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail