Thread: How do you bleed a clutch on a 94 XJ?

wes is offline Just Empty Every Pocket

Default How do you bleed a clutch on a 94 XJ?

Ok so I was driving home the other night and the clutch pedal lost all pressure, I didnt want to take it out of gear since I might not get it back in so I drove home in 5th (real fun on turns) luckily it was 1am so noone else was on the road. The next day I replaced the master and slave cylinder I was just gonna try the master first but I broke the slave when I took it off to look it over. The problem is that I cant find a bleeder screw on the slave anywhere, There is a bolt on bottom that needs a allen key to be removed and I tried using that to bleed it like I would brakes but nothing happens. I know yall are probably laughing right now but I have never had to bleed a clutch, the one on my CJ is all rods and pivot points and when that messed up I fixed it with a lathe. Im still driving the XJ but sometimes I have to pump the clutch a few times so it will engage

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: How do you bleed a clutch on a 94 XJ?

There should be a bolt sticking out the side, where a bleeder goes. If one isn't there then you will have to install one. Turns out that our model jeeps (the 90-95) may or may not have come with a bleeder valve installed at the factory for the clutch. I'd go with a russell's speed bleeder myself.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Default Re: How do you bleed a clutch on a 94 XJ?

depending if you have a external slave cylinder you have to open the master cylinder and unbolt the slave there is a little arm pump with short strokes and it will push the air up to the master have some one watch till no more bubbles come out i know this post is old but i ran into the same problem the other night and figured this may help some one else just sharing the knowledge
    .,=====o000o
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)

88' XJ = BAMF

1988 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer
    31" Rocky Mountains
    3 inch Rough Country lift
    Trimmed out Fenders
    Detours A-pillar mounts
    Snorkel
    Custom LED lighting