This week end it was pretty outside so I decided to inquire why my rear cargo area is always wet....
ERROR........
I started lifting the carpet and noticed that the undermat was soaked.... I lifted in at the other end (under the bench seat)... and discovered a mess of rust, water, and mud (and a couple of quarters but that didn;t really make my day)

So I pulled the whole rear carpet and Yuck.... rusty spots, rusty mess, mudd, ...

I started cleaning the crap, then brush wired it to remove as mnuch rust as I could... so far it looks like surface only....

Dried everything, and because I know me it will take 200 years before I do something about the carpet, I had a can of rustoleum heavily rusted metal primer, I sprayed the whole thing hoping that it will give me some relief.

So now I am thinking: what are my CHEAP options.

I think I can reuse the carpet, but the under mat is shot. can I use any kind of mat ? I have some leftover from a wood flooring/carpeting project at home (the kind with the vapor barrier) or is it a special type of mat ?

Some people I have read, use some bedliner... I am not wheeling mud, and the jeep is 21 yo so is it really worth the cost ? I guess a gal of herculiner should do this and I should have enough to do the fenders as planned....

What are your thoughts ? Experiences ? Advices ?