Thread: Engine hesitates

Default Engine hesitates

When I turn on the jeep it idles fine. I can rev it up and its good. When I put it in drive it hesitates when you start to drive. It starts to do it when it passes 1000 rps. If it smooths out its fine until you have to slow down and when you accelerate it does it again. I had real big problems with this when I was in a higher elevation. But when i went to a lower elevation it wasn't as consent but it still occurs.

Default Re: Engine hesitates

could be a dirty fuel filter.

Yea though the same thing. its good one of the things i checked.

Yea though the same thing. But its good.

Clean out the throttle body real good . Sounds like it could be dirty and effecting the mass flow air sensor

I've cleaned it not to long ago. I'll do it again. Its maintenance is pretty well keep up. I'm thinking it could be the tps sensor. It says that it needs to be set to .83 but i can't set mine to that. It never runs right when i do. Someone else told me its probably the crank sensor but i never have a problem starting it. Any thoughts?

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

the crank position sensor will cause your rpm's to drop to zero in the worst case. it will cause a stutter type hesitation when it's trying to go out but hasn't made it far enough yet. I thought my tps was *rewed, cause I would rough idle every now and then, but it was the cps, finally figured it out when I was going down the road and poof, zero rpm and engine died. turned the key off and on and pressed the gas pedal, vrooom, started back and didn't do it again for a while. got a new one and got it in there and no problems at all ever since.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

well it doesn't drop rpms. from 1000 rpms it goes up and down. But when i was climbing a hill it did die on me. I'll check it out. I've replaced the cps three years ago.
    Last edited by greenchevy; 02-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

If that checks out ok, reseting the computer may be what's needed, if you haven't already done that. could also be something going on with the injectors but I rather doubt that from your description.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I'm lost at this point.

hmm this is just an idea but what about putting some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank like STP treatment.

I was having somewhat same issue... mine turned out to be my EGR valve... The vacuum line was not connected to it. Might check there... If vacuum is present then try pushing on the top of the EGR you should get some movement when the engine is cold and not running. If you get no movement or it moves under alot of pressure it is most likely bad and needs replacing,
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to MUD in the rain!