Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Knock

Default Re: Engine Knock

Sounds like a rod bearing for sure.Get a mechanics stethescope or a long screwdriver and put it on the area where you think the noise is coming from.You will be able to tell between a normal mechanical noise&one that sounds like something is wrong right away.I would start on top&work my way down.Start with the valve cover area to see if its a rocker arm,it could very easily be that too.Good luck and let us know what you find out,pics if you can.

From the valve cover you don't hear the noise almost at all. But under the car/ engine pan its loud.

i had the same thing and sound. it was the torque converter bolts. i knew it when i was pulling out of taco bell and it wouldnt move. runs strong but no go.

Icon1 Re: Engine Knock

Just leave the Rislone in there for a good while and you will be surprised how it will keep on working to make it run quiet. This product will also start making your oil stick to your engine part's a little better...
    PVT. Tadpol XJ

Thats exactly what mine sounded like, and my #6 piston was broke all to hell. The skirt was in five big pieces in the oil pan.
    2000 black Xj, rubi wheels, rc 4.5", 33 x 12.5 duelers

Mine sounded like that and I thought it was a rod knock but it was torqure converter bolts loose. Just had the engine pulled down and the bearing were all good

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I'd check the torque coverter bolts first, easier to get to. If not there then you most likely have to pull the crank. don't wait till a rod is sticking out the side of your block to get around to it. That's a serious noise, now that I've listened to it three times, I would have to say spun or wiped out bearing. No amount of "magic lube" will fix it and the longer you wait the worse and more expensive it will be to fix correctly.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12