Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ford 9"

Default ford 9"

has anyone swapped in a ford 9" i can pick one up for free just wondering if its worth the work

What are you using for the front, it will be a different bolt pattern, are you keeping it full width?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HIDDEN WOUNDS XJ

Taking awareness to Veterans of past, present and future that suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) & Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). PTSD & TBI are Hidden Wounds
    Visit my facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/hiddenwoundsxj Web Page: www.hiddenwoundsxj.com
    my PayPal for donations or for purchases: [email protected]

Default Re: ford 9"

I have swapped several. The spring pad width on most broncos and mid to late 70s trucks is close enough to bolt right up.

Parts are readily available and you can make them Indestructible for a reasonable price.

Keep in mind that the 9" has the lowest pinion of any axle made.
    You will want to run an SYE to keep the vibes down.

They are stupid strong though as far as ring and pinion.

If you feel like dishing out close to 2k you can get a high pinion 3rd member geared and locked from currie. You can also get 35 spline shafts for the setup fairly cheap.

They combo well with ford front 44s

You can put a 9" in the back of an XJ using the simple install kit from ruff stuff for around 125.oo

The front 44 is a different story. I would always budget at least 1K for that.

Andy

i plan on running a d44 out of a 79 bronco to match it thanks for the info

should i spend the money on getting disk brakes for the rear

The drum brakes are heavier and can pack full of mud.

Its up to you. I would explore your options. I am a fan of the ford explorer disc brake set up. It uses the same caliper as the jeep grand cherokee ZJ rear discs and you could more than likely run a ZJ master and proportioning valve with almost stock results.
    A

another question what size gears should i run i plan on puttin 37s under it

If you are running an inline 6 with a np231 with the 2.72:1 LR i would run a 4.88

Its a great gear but still streetable.

Andy

i will be using everything stock besides the ford 9" and d44

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

one other thing to keep in mind on the ford 9" is that you are going to loose clearance distance. Probably not a problem if your going to run big tires like 35-37 inchers.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

how much clearance will i lose 1-2 inches?

from what I understand about this swap you would loose around 2-3" of clearance.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

hopefully the 37s will help out with that

with tires that size you should not feel the crunch of the pumpkin hitting anything.

good question xj89! right now i can get a good deal on a ford 9" and i was asking the same question. i think im still going to go with the 8.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast