Thread: 5 SPD clutch grabs very low and tough getting into gear on warmer days.

Default 5 SPD clutch grabs very low and tough getting into gear on warmer days.

This problem started a few weeks ago on my 95 XJ. On warmer days (40+ F) it is becoming more difficult to put the shifter into gear when the vehicle is running. When it's cold (below freezing or lower), the problem is not as overt but still is there. When the engine is off, I can put it into gear no problem, which tells me linkage is okay. The clutch is only a few years old and does not grind when shifting at any point except occasionally reverse. It has always grabbed midway up but now it grabs at the floor and the pedal feels very "floppy". The clutch pedal does firm up when the engine is off and has sat cold for a while. I don't think it's the clutch. Fluid level is good in tranny, although could stand to be changed. The fluid in the clutch reservoir is brownish and not looking well. The level of fluid is full and I see no leaks that are obvious. If it is the clutch master cylinder, can that be changed independently of the BMC? I see a slave cylinder in a parts catalog but can't find one on my XJ? Is it internal? Have a cost sensitive recommendations on the order of troubleshooting? Thanks for any feedback.

Default Re: 5 SPD clutch grabs very low and tough getting into gear on warmer days.

It sounds like your slave cylinder is going out, or your getting air in your lines. From what I have read 95 and newer xj's have an external slave cylinder.

Default Re: 5 SPD clutch grabs very low and tough getting into gear on warmer days.

^+1!!

Icon7 Re: 5 SPD clutch grabs very low and tough getting into gear on warmer days.

I looked under the dash and above the fuse box is a leaking clutch master cylinder. It sure helps to know what to look for. I kept looking on the other side where the reservoir is located for leaks. A lot of the info I read must have been for pre-95 XJ's and it confused me as to what's what. Thanks for the helping hand!

Yeah... a leaking master cylinder might be causing some issues for ya, for sure...