Thread: Valve Cover

Default Valve Cover

Ok, when I picked up the engine that donated its head to my XJ, it had a aluminum cover. My XJ has a stamped tin one. I want to install the fancy one. The thing is the 2 connections that are on the top are busted. These 2 connections are 90 degree elbows. So now the question...How the heck do I get them out so I can replace them with good ones? I am a little stumped, as they wont pull out or thread out.
    I can't go where?? RRiiggghhhtt...

Default Re: Valve Cover

I ran into this same issue when i did a motor swap... Unfortunately i don't have the best solution. I just taped the tupe to the plastic elbow. I never could get the things out

well since you have the cover off it is the best time to take them out... but all you have to do is put a lot of pulling power and twisting back and forth at the same time... I was fighting with the ones on mine too... and the engine I pulled the new ones for mine off of... but I finally got them both.. and almost fell backwards when I pulled the one at the JY to replace both of my broken ones...

It looks like from inside they are flanged....if cheap enough will just buy a new grommet and elbow.....or figure something else out.

XJ4IV Guest

I tried that twice and apparently those parts are dealer only items... and at the AGE of our XJ's sometimes are SOP special order parts.
    and YEAH those things are a pain in the butt to remove, I ended up breakin the elbow then used a little hose clamp and put the hose on the broken part... workin so far

Well after I broke mine on accident... I just left the hose off, as there wasn't enough to hook on the remaining part of the elbow... and I was always worried about driving it thorugh rain and such... so I went by the parts store... and then even hit up a few stealerships.... and they all told me that their distributors were sold out or some crap... so I JY shoped that s**t... I was really surprised that I was able to get the elbows and grommets out of the valve covers of the JY Jeeps, without breaking them... but at least I finally got to replace my broken ones... so I could drive around a bit less worried about water, and dirt getting in...

Will be attacking that thing this weekend..and the 2 manifold bolts. Then off to get rear springs and disco from a member on another site. Then hope that a set of MTII rims are still for sale on Saturday