Thread: head light switch

Default head light switch

OK my head light one night would not turn on , so i did some testing and I found out that my head light switch went bad so i got a new one from pepboys for under 20 i installed it and now i got my H/L to work , but now i have no running lights front or rear , the switch took out had 1 ground connection and the new one has 2 side by side , dose any one know whats going on ?
    1996 classic -4.0 - NP231j with OMIX SYE with Tom Woods Drive Shaft - HP D30 - C8.25 - 3.55 Gears - 6.5 RC lift - M/T 35x12.5x15 Baja Claws On M/T Black Signature Series Wheel 15x10 cast Aluminum -Rusty Front Prerunner Bumper - Smittybelt RXC8 8,500LBS in Front and Champion 10,000LBS in Rear - Custom Rear Bumper - Iron Rock Off Road OTK Steering - Cut Fenders- Crystal Clear H/L Housing with 8K HIDS - Bed lined Rockers and Quarters-

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Default Re: head light switch

no one has any ideas ?
    i checked all bulbs behind the dash tail light corner lights all fuses most grounds and i cant figure it out please help
    1996 classic -4.0 - NP231j with OMIX SYE with Tom Woods Drive Shaft - HP D30 - C8.25 - 3.55 Gears - 6.5 RC lift - M/T 35x12.5x15 Baja Claws On M/T Black Signature Series Wheel 15x10 cast Aluminum -Rusty Front Prerunner Bumper - Smittybelt RXC8 8,500LBS in Front and Champion 10,000LBS in Rear - Custom Rear Bumper - Iron Rock Off Road OTK Steering - Cut Fenders- Crystal Clear H/L Housing with 8K HIDS - Bed lined Rockers and Quarters-

The problem is that we don't know exactly how you wired it up. As for two grounds, no clue. The original switch has two positions as well as a rheostat in it for the dash lights. This simple switch is not going to address the problem I am guessing. But again, I know nothing about the switch itself.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

did the running lights work with the bad switch?

id say go get a different switch, one that is EXACTLY the same as the one you pulled out.

OR get a tester and start testing the power to each post on the switch as you turn the lights on and off see if they are even getting power at the switch, if they arent then there is your answer.

i went out and got an oem switch from jeep the wiring is stock or at least i have not done anything to it , when i put the switch in it fixed the problem with the headlights not turning on , but now when i turn on my headlights me side marker and tail lights don't light up , i got brake light but not the running light
    @ default83 - yes the running lights worked with the bad switch

check your fuses again by taking them out and use a meter to check the fuse. you might have created an short, or janked on a wire so it came lose...
    if that is not the cause, put back the old faulty switch, and see what happens.

if then al works again as before, then with an gauge/meter check the poles on both switches if they give the same connection....
    Last edited by Thomass; 10-08-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: language error