Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you SeaFoam?

Default Do you SeaFoam?

Back when I was 16, or so, someone told me about running automatic transmission fluid through the carburetor. It cleaned stuff out, internally, in the engine! I tried it and I was hooked. It made a HUGE white cloud of smoke. I mean I'm talking "Jame's Bond" blind the bad guys heavy thick smoke.

I don't know if it improved anything, but if sure was fun to do.

I think part of me wanted to do this again, so I bought some SeaFoam!

At 10 a container I thought it was a tad pricey. I really didn't have anything that needed to be improved. I mean I recently replaced the injectors, and many of the sensors are new.

I removed the air breathing tube from the throttle body and poured some in! I was very disappointed in the smoke that came out. Not at all like the puffy white Summer time clouds of smoke that came from the automatic transmission fluid of years past. Still I continued to poor.

I turned off the engine, let it sit for a bit, then restarted it.

Several hours later I returned to the Jeep to start it and put it in the garage.

I was surprised that what had been a expected and even ritualistic event, starting the Jeep had changed! Before I would try to start the engine, it wouldn't, I would wait a second and try again and it would start right up! So two tries and you were golden!

This is different from the 10 prior years, first time crank first time start. The surprise was it started the first time! I didn't get too excited until I saw a trend. Well I started it the next morning, 1 start. Then after nine hours at work, started 1st start!

More testing to follow!

Default Re: Do you SeaFoam?

Gonna have to give it a try.
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

NO I only put in a vehicle what the factory calls for. I have seen 2 many motors ruint because people have tried stuff like that. JMO

Been using Seafoam for a while, love it, I use it every couple of months pour some in the gas tank and do just like you did. I've never had a problem with it and itdoes get the engine running better.

I have used SeaFoam. You don't need to get white smoke. It is fun, but can also take out your O2 sensor. I just pour a bottle into a 1/4 tank of gas and drive. Fifty miles later it is done. Injectors are clean and pistons and combustion chamber clean too. I have verified this with a tear down.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Where can you get it at?
    Shot of Whiskey and a camp fire. Perfect night time

O'Reillys, Auto Zone or any auto parts store will carry it. I think I saw some at Manard's but I can't say for sure.

I'm back to 2 crank starts.

SeaFoam is amazing it cleans ur motor very will put it in the crank case get it up to temp and then change your oil you would not belive the junk and crud that comes out yes it is safe to do its on the can lol i do it every time i change the oil and i put it in the gas every couple of months its great stuff. and i think walmart has it i think

I've used seafoam in the past works great but nothing beats the ole water trick for that pesky carbon nock

Maybe I dont believe in this kinda stuff. I dont think there is anything in a bottle that you can put in your rig and make it run better. I have heard and seen ppl use these can fixes, and screw up more then they fixed.
    87 XJ Chopped Locked Alloyed, Caged 3 linked W/doubler
    87 Free MJ Project
    90 MJ DD stock on 31's
    90 MJ Truggy 1tons, doubler, H1's on 42's

Sheetmetal fears me

It works awesome,if it is done correctly and your engine needs it! Take of your throttlebody and look into your intake manifold. If it clean, dont bother. If it is dirty (which it will be) then use it. Let the engine sit for 30 minutes. Greta stuff.

So do I seafoam. Yup every year!
    [SIZE="2"]97 XJ SPORT
    3" Budget lift (ZJ coils and track bar, spacers shackles)
    MSD ignition (box, coil) Accel 6mm wires
    Ford 19# injectors, 60mm TB, turbo city air tube
    Cherry bomb cat back
    oversized battery,

At the shop we always have a Can of Seafoam Engine, TransTune and Creep on the shelf and I mean at all times, one of our buddies works at a local ACDelco auto parts store and keeps the shelf stocked , their products are like miracles in a can.
    1995 XJ SPORT 4.0L / AW4 / NP231 / 4" Homebrew Lift w. Hacked Fenders / Disconnected / 48" Jack / Bedlined Floor & Exterior / 33" Eldorado MTZ / Stock Axles / Twin Rack Lights / Custom Bumper with 8500LB Winch / Stiffys and a load of steel that needs to find a place on my heep.

______ooo
    / _/|_|_|\___\___
    |/ : \_|_|_/ : \ |iiii|
    ( _ ) _ ) . ( _ ) _ )

Dirty to the C.O.R.E.
    Cumberland Off Road Enthusiasts

Indiana, just across the river from Louisville KY

I was talking to a couple of mechanics at the local CarQuest just yesterday about this stuff. They both use it in their personal vehicles so I might give it a try. Thanks for the post.

I've used it many times and have been very pleased with the results, I also like to use Slick 50 oil treatment, i've put many miles on an engine and have enjoyd good service from it! : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast