Thread: axle noise..

Default axle noise..

jet an other problem, what i can not determine where it comes from.

I replaced both rear wheel bearings, changed the diff oil, inspected the gear (they are optimal), and overhauled the the rear-brakes (OEM) with new parts.

Still there is a hollow kind of noise coming from the back, and I can not find the source.
    So i readjusted all the parts from the rear axle once again, but the sound is still there. It has to come from the axle, because the frequency raises and lowers with the speed of the rig.

any suggestions ?? where to look ??

Default Re: axle noise..

Nobody no suggestions ? ?

I have about 8 hours left, to determine if i go this long trip by bike or with the XJ. its over 1800km
    because i can not find the source of the noise I'm a bit afraid. (the unknown)

so if there are ideas about this, i really would appreciate this.

Thomass

Get the vehicle off the ground in the rear ( on jack stands ) spin the rear wheels (at driving speed ) get underneath and listen.... Use a piece of tubing to pinpoint the noise by putting the tube to your ear other end to the diff area and listen move hose till noise is the loudest. If you have done all that you have said the noise should be in the diff. Could be bad bearings, Bad bearings causeing the pattern to be lost and your getting a howl from the ring and pinion or pinion bearing are going away on you. Keep in mind that metal sound travels, so you could have bad u joints in the rear shaft, transfer case bearing noise ect ect. You can use the tube method to isolate the noise from anywhere. Good luck !!! Hope you find it quick !!!
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

just for fun, try swapping the tires around. move the rear to the front and vise versa. Sometimes a belt can slip in a tire and make a hollow noise and since you have already ripped the brakes, bearings and pinion appart it leaves only a few other things, but the tire swapping is the easiest to do and you might be surprised.
    Off road enthusiast's are not the ones killing nature, it's new sub-divisions, businesses, and strip malls.

Once again I dismantled the brake system on the rear axle. because I didn't trust this after market break shoes I bought earlier.
    and once again i drained the dif-oil, and replaced it with a fresh quantity.
    I also cleaned out the inner side of the dif with an low pressure solvent cleaner. (oh what a stink)and also checked the inner bearings. this was the point i noticed on the outside of the axel/dif an dust ring what was in an bit of an oval shape. when i turned the axle by hand, i heard the noise coming from this dust ring.
    Replacing it solves the problem.
    Well at least i know now for sure, that i have a well serviced rear Dana 35

Ready for the weekend, going again to the south of Germany (Bavaria) and Austria.
    have a nice weekend you all