Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bilstein shock falling off.

Default bilstein shock falling off.

so i have some bilstein 5150 shocks on my jeep. just the other day one of them came of on the axel side. the shock boot on the bottom fell off so when i screw the shaft back on to the mounthing bracket it will not stay it will just fall off again. i have tryed to lock tight it on and put some teflon tape on and still it falls off.
    is this little flat plate causeing this to not stay tight. were can i get a new one.
    or should i just weld it on?

the bottom of this pic you will see the silver flat plate that i am talking about. sorry don't know what it is called.
    any advise.
    thanks
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Default Re: bilstein shock falling off.

if you can take a pic and show us what is falling off i think i know what your talking about but i sure would like to see it
    i know my spelling and grammer are bad but dont worry its not getting any better

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

two bolts may help ???
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related

that flat thing your talking about is to hold a rubber boot on
    1996 classic -4.0 - NP231j with OMIX SYE with Tom Woods Drive Shaft - HP D30 - C8.25 - 3.55 Gears - 6.5 RC lift - M/T 35x12.5x15 Baja Claws On M/T Black Signature Series Wheel 15x10 cast Aluminum -Rusty Front Prerunner Bumper - Smittybelt RXC8 8,500LBS in Front and Champion 10,000LBS in Rear - Custom Rear Bumper - Iron Rock Off Road OTK Steering - Cut Fenders- Crystal Clear H/L Housing with 8K HIDS - Bed lined Rockers and Quarters-

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

ya i can take a pic of it but if you look at the pic above then in the bottom of the pic you will see a flat plate just above the bushings that plate fell off so now the shaft just spines off when i put it back on. i have used lock tight and tflon tape but it will not stay.
    i look at the other shock that has all the peices to to and as far as i can see this part should not have any effect on the saft staying tight but i don't know.
    does anyone know anything about these shocks then?
    01, Tera Flex 6" long arm kit, jks quick disco's,jks bar pin eliminators, Fox 2.0 shocks I won for 5 bucks, Tom woods Sye with rear drive shaft, Tera flex rear disc brakes, custom front bumper, customer rear bumper, rage roof rack. H4 head lights, k&n intake and cone, black steelies with 285x75x16 retreads, metal gas skid. Finally I have a nice jeep no more pos.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

ok so i made this tell i can get home and take a pic.
    the big circle is the mounting part that is falling off and the little circle is the part that fell off and i lost.

i don't know what is going on with this pic but it will not load so.
    Last edited by alwaysxj; 05-03-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

ok took some pics of this.
    here is the shock not connected.

here is where it goes. it threads in.

here is what the other one looks like with it all together. and note their is no boots on it.

here is the flat washer thingy i was talking about that i lost on the other shock and now it will not stay tight.
    i am not sure if this is needed for it to stay tight or not.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Ok, the flat ring, as it was stated earlier, is thier to hold the boot on. the shaft is supposed to be welded into the part that holds the bushings. You have a busted shock, Take it back and have them warrenty that thing.
    Ps, Is that shock long enough travel for that rig ? It looks like it may be to short and just pulled it out.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

Voldemort Guest

I have never seen one do that before, how long have you had it? were did you buy it?
    If you weld it you would have to TIG it for it to be right, you can MIG it but I think it would break again IMO. But, I would think welding would be the best option. Was it welded on before?

were is it welded when they thread on?
    and were can i send it back to get a new one. from what i have read it they only has a one year warranty.
    and i did not put them on the jeep i just bought the jeep so i don't know really anything about them.
    thanks for the info.
    so if i cannot take them back is what you are saying is i should just weld it on then.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Where did you buy them from ? thats where I would start if they wont help go direct to Bilstein. I have never seen one threaded and not welded, they may have just missed the weld. If its supposed to be just threaded then the threads are distroyed.I still believe they are to short. Measure for full droop without the shock on it and see what you get then compare that against the full length of the shock.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

like i said i did not buy them i have the invoice from rusty's offroad from back 12/4/2006 do you think they will do anything about this really?
    also i thought that they were rebuild able so they should thread on right. the shaft has threads on it. and if you go on bilsteins web site they show that you can replace the shafts in them so i don't know.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

I doubt they will do anything about a 3 year old shock. If it was mine, I would weld it. You have nothing to loose by doing so. If I had a choice, I would use stick believe it or not. There is a rod made by Alstate labeled Super 275. It will weld any kind of steel to any other kind of steel including springs and axles and tool steel. The stuff works great and will not fail. Other companies have an equivalent labeled super missile weld or something similar.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

sweet thanks i will have to see if i can find it.
    .,=====o00
    //___l__,\____\,___
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

It really is great stuff. I can tell you some tall stories about it.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast