Thread: My joy and sorrow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My joy and sorrow

I did a lot of googeling regarding the fuel module and why the car would stop going uphill. No good answers came to me. There is no fuel pump in the tank on a diesel. I decided to solve the problem temporarily by keeping the tank full.

My next step was to change all the fluids on the car. First was the cooling system. It was flushed, and then refilled with the proper coolant. The trick with the VM diesel is to fill the cooling system with the nose of the car pointing downhill. That gets the reservoir at the highest piont so that the coolant fills the area around the aft cylinder. If you don’t do that there will be air in that area, and the cylinder will run hot. Known problem with these engines.

Next was changing oil on the AX15 gearbox and the NP231J transfer case. The oil from the gearbox looked fine and the correct amount came out. Refilled that one. When draining the transfer case almost no oil came out, and what little that came out did not look good. “Huston, we have a problem”. For how long the gearbox had been running low on oil, I don’t know. I filled it up to the proper level and decided to keep a close eye on it.

I also changed the oil on the front and rear axle. Those looked OK. Cleaned everything properly, and sealed them up.

Sent from my Commodore 64
    Last edited by EtronX; 05-03-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    Sent from my Commodore 64