Thread: Best lift kit option for the XJ

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    denverd1 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Best lift kit option for the XJ

Jacob, there's a big difference in running 33s and 35s. i.e. your Dana 35 rear axle will tolerate crawling 33's with light throttle. 35's will make it go boom. My plan is to break the stock axles before I throw at tons.

also your target lift height is right where things get a lot more involved. 4" and above, you need steering and driveline mods to make the important angles durable.

building your rig can be done in steps, but it needs to be well thought out or you'll end up buying the same parts again.

I'd recommend a 3.5" lift and 31s or 33s to start with. a little fender trimming (for 33s) and you've got a VERY capable rig will take you just about anywhere. then you can better define your favorite terrain and build phase 2 to meet your wheeling style.

phase 2: add shackle relocators to rear springs to net 5" range and replace the front with 5" coils. You'd also want to focus on those steering and driveline mods at this point.

I'm on 4.5" Rubicon lift with 33's. I've done a few driveline mods, but would need to address some steering issues if I were to go higher. I got myself in one situation where 35's would've helped. OTT it goes up and over everything I point it at.

You'll also find that there's a lot more at play here than lift and tires. bumpers with recovery points, traction aids, self recovery (winch), communications, lights, etc. the list can get pretty long!

best lift is pretty subjective. do you want a posh ride or something stiffer? I prefer a slightly higher spring rate so the tires don't go full stuff on smaller obstacles.
    Last edited by denverd1; 07-31-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    Wheelin' East Texas in a RED XJ

RED 98 XJ with 4.5" lift, ZJ steering, front and rear locked on 33's
    cowl intake, Cobra CB, SYE, bumpers, 10K winch, lights
    ,___________
    //___l__,\____\,00_
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]|
    (o)_)--(o)_)--(o)_)