Thread: Electrical issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Electrical issue

So up to this point, I've had no electrical issues with my XJ. But yesterday morning, when I cranked my Jeep to go to work, I noticed the battery seemed nearly dead. Then at work on my break, I tried to start it and it was dead. Charging system is working fine so I went to Walmart, they said the battery had no charge at all, and I went ahead and bought a new battery(because I'm stupid like that.) I cleaned all the corrosion off my positive cable, installed the new battery, cranked it up and notice that the parking lights and dash lights are on like that I had the headlight switch pulled out to the first click. Tried cycling the head light switch all the way out and in several times but they wouldn't turn off. Headlights came on and went off normally. Spent a while Googling it in the Walmart parking lot and when I couldn't find a solution, I decided to head home. Got in and put my foot on the brake and the dash lights went off. I got out and looked and sure enough the parking lights were off. Now they turn off and back on normally with the head light switch.

No amount of Googling has turned up any obvious answers.. At first I thought this was a headlight switch problem but after digging online, I'm really starting to wonder if I have some wires grounded out somewhere. Are the parking lights and brake lights connected some how?
    Last edited by JTHarrison86; 03-30-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    1998 XJ w/ 3" lift and 31" tires.
    Also a proud conceal carrying, God fearing Christian.