Thread: Custom Switch Box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Custom Switch Box

Pics of my new switch box installed this summer. I prefer it there rather than the "ceiling" since I have a full length overhead console. There's room for 1 more switch, I just need to decide what to wire it to.

What the area looked like before. Notice the ugly installation of the switch for my electric locker right next to the steering column. The location & appearance always bothered me ... because I'm like Monk

Then I had my rear bumper lights wired, & we swapped out the little panel & put a factory switch in that location, & wired the bumper lights. Much better!

And now I actually have a location for the other "alike" switches: front locker, roof mounted KC's & another pair of roof mounted lights. Maybe I'll wire the 4th switch to a rear back-up/auxiliary light on the roof basket. Because the bumper lights are useless for seeing when backing up.

Default Re: Custom Switch Box

Thanks for the help guys.

Basically what I am looking to do is have something that "looks" OEM but isn't. Something that looks like the overhead dome light already in the Jeep.

It dawned on me that maybe that's what I need to do, just get another of the dome lights. I went on to ebay today and found one for 25, yeah I know pricey.

So I'm going to try and remove the lenses and lights. Build up that section with fiberglass then measure, mark and cut out places for switches.

I think I can get two rows of switches on it, for a total of 8 to 10 switches.

1. Rock Crawling Lights
    2. off road lights (Inner)
    3. off road lights (Outter)
    4. efan override
    5. air compressor
    6. Strobes
    7. Winch on
    8. Winch extend/retract
    9. ARB front locker
    10. ARB rear locker

I have found some switches I like (they look like the ARB switches) but at 10 to 12 each I'm looking at 100+ for stinking switches!