Thread: Engine Swap 4.7 Stroker vs 4.0 Replacement!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pookapotamus is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: Engine Swap 4.7 Stroker vs 4.0 Replacement!

that's a tough question Chris, how big is your jeep? what tires are you running? what is its main purpose?

I personally love my stroker, even though it has not made it over 5000 kms on every rebuild! (don't ask, lets just say I have had issues!)

A relatively cheap 4.6 stroker will liven up a heavy lifted jeep, mine weighs 5000lbs and runs 33" tires with 410 gearing, its no sports car but I can at least pass on the highway and not have to drop down to 80 or 60 to climb a hill. off road its an absolute blast!!! Gas mileage is not super horrible but you will definitely notice it!

if your are stock and just need a new motor the 4.0L has lots of power, but if you want to roast the tires off your stocker, or are planning on going big soon, the stroker is a great option.

reading your post it says you don't have the high output, even getting a newer high output to put in would be a nice upgrade if you are stock.

I know this does not really answer your question, give us more info and we can advise further.

Pook

Default Re: Engine Swap 4.7 Stroker vs 4.0 Replacement!

Currently I'm only running 31" tires. I will be upgrading to at least 33 when I wear these out. 90% of the time this is a daily driver. I only drive about 20 miles a day. So gas mileage isnt a huge concern. I need this jeep to be a DD and a toy. I just feel like my 4.0 is under powering the jeep. Now that might be because its got over 205,000 on it. I could drive this engine to the end if necessary, but I figure if I'm going to swap. I might as well consider more power. I was unsure if a 4.7 was a direct swap with 90' 4.0 or not. From what I've seen a lot changed 91 and newer. Just dont want to get into something that is not going to reliable or more of a headache that the extra power is worth.