Thread: My XJ is in the shop :(

Angry My XJ is in the shop :(

Greetings XJ talk,

So it seem the clunking noise I had thought was exhaust was not...
    fro the last couple of months it had been starting to shift in to OD later and later but other then the noise was running well. Now on Sunday she will not shift in to gear and has a grinding thumping noise with sparks coming form the bell housing when the engine is running.

I'm hoping that it is just the torque converter and/or flex plate but that is to be seen. It was taken to one of the better transmission shop in the area to be checked out to see what is wrong with it.

But for now I'm with out my XJ and that makes me very sad. not to menchen the fact that the vehicle that I will be using in the mean time has strange idle problems.

So it seems the money i had for a lift will got to the transmission

Default Re: My XJ is in the shop :(

dang....no inspection plate or cover? did you take it off and take a look at it?

Bad news Andon. Just when you were getting money for the fun stuff. Hope it turns out well. It might be from the description you gave, a problem with the flex plate. Here is hoping since that is cheaper than a rebuilt tranny
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

I just got a call back from the shop... torque converter and flywheel are shot and all the fly wheel bolts are trashed. they said 1200 to 1400 if the rest of the transmission is ok.

SO that leaves me in a bit of a pickle to say the least. I'm not sure what to do. If I had a heated shop that was big enough I think that it would not be that hard but no luck there.

Not sure what to tell you on that. But I have changed a lot of engines outside in the snow. It is slow, but it can be done. Get some good insulated coveralls and put cardboard on the ground for insulation. Take it slow and come in for warm up periods
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

you could buy or rent one of those tarpoline portable gargae things like what you see advertised on Harbor Freight all the time.. .then heat it up with one of those propane heaters.... might make the work seem not so bad...
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

noooo. thats alllot of for a torque converter 200 and a flex plate 100 and some bolts...
    make a makeshift shed out of 2x4s. tarp it all then run 110v to it with large space heater or large propain heater.
    Last edited by rabies; 12-17-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Pick up all the parts needed, and go rent a storage unit, especially if you get one with electric included, heat it and you got a rental garage that you can use.. that is what I'm doing and it works great... if nothing else you can use it for what you need and get some other stuff done at the same time for the month you have it rented, then cancel it all out...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Pick up all the parts needed, and go rent a storage unit, especially if you get one with electric included, heat it and you got a rental garage that you can use.. that is what I'm doing and it works great... if nothing else you can use it for what you need and get some other stuff done at the same time for the month you have it rented, then cancel it all out...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES