Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Misfire Troubles....

Default Re: Misfire Troubles....

Misfire can only be a few things. Id run it and pull the plugs to inspect for fuel (easiest way) if there is fuel then other then a tune up it can be crank,cam position sensors or a broke distributor. What have you already done to chase the gremlin?

Well i originally thought it was just bad wires from the cap to the plugs, i could wiggle them and feel the contact points losing contact. When i replaced those i pulled the first two plugs which seemed nearly brand new as they should, less than 3k miles on them. I've scoured the engine bay and surrounding looking for bad wiring(finding some other things to fix) but couldn't find any bad wires. I replaced the O2 sensor and ran most of a can of seafoam through the gas tank but still runs like crap. Also i pulled the distributor cap, looks brand new along with the rotor. The whole time I've been checking the codes with the key trick, but there haven't been any codes.

I think I'll pick up some new plugs while I'm running around and replace those anyway because they are cheap and easy and I'll be able to cross them off the list.

I thought i replied.... are you sure you have spark and fuel at each cylinder?

My rotor was toast it looked ok but upon removal and closer inspection i had a 7 layer dip of torched carbon on the button

Oh i was going to ask how to check that, I've never done it before. Are you just pulling the wires off the plugs while it's running?

Yes one at a time gently. The motor will run like dookie if the cylinder is ok on spark and fuel. No change means you found the dead cylinder. If the dead cylinder has fuel it will be in the ignition components ie plugs wires cap rotor ect. The plug will smell like gas and be a little moist. Also youll see a puff of fuel vapor when you pull the pkug on the no spark cylinder

Thanks for the instructions. I'm going to be busy tonight.

I can't believe it. I can't freaking believe it. I put the new CPS is, and she still ran like crap. Change the spark plugs, probably the very first thing i should have done and she purrs like a kitty. I guess the lesson learned is do the simple cheap stuff first. I did learn a lot however, replaced some stuff that would need it soon anyway and added some new tools to the bucket so it's not all bad. Thanks for the input from everyone, i really appreciate all the help.

Dont feel bad mines a 94 that is loaded with factory crap that should have been replaced a decade ago.

Ah whatever, it's actually pretty funny. plus it's always good to learn more about the jeep, which i did a lot of.

Hows it running? Mines purring like the day she was assembled. All pings ticks and knocks are gone.

She sounds so good! I drove around all day yesterday for work, not a single hiccup. 😀

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123