Ok so I left the military in February of this year. I make a decent salary compared to the military but there are somethings I didn't expect to be so high (thank you Obamacare) so now I am breaking even each month. Though, if anything not within the normal budget comes around I am digging myself in the negative. I moved to Phoenix for my daughter from a previous relationship to gain 50/50 time. I was at 45 days per year and now on track for 50/50 in a few years (currently at 120 days per year). Just bought a house and am pretty stable here.

My job has promised me a promotion into a manager position but recently decided to rethink that option. I am a junior member of the security team but a better manager than a tech compared to other members of the team. I would be given raises as I grow into the role but would save the company money by hiring a manager at a 'cheap' rate in comparison. The executives approved of me stepping up before but now are debating the issue again. I am a little upset since we talked about how my raises would go over the next 5 years and I survive until then at my current pay (my first raise would be in a few months of 10 percent, and 10 percent again in 6 months).

So I started to look around and see what is available and found a job near Denver making twice what I make now (using my clearance) but its a 6 month contract to potential full hire or extension. The salary at full time hasn't been discussed but was 'comparable' to the hourly rate as per the contract. My guess is that it would still be 50 percent higher than what I make now. I was told with my skill set and clearance that even finding another contract at the company would be easy.

By taking this job I might loose some time with my daughter who resides in Phoenix. The plan would be that if I got the contract I would go up there for 6 months and see if I get full hire or extension. I could pay off a lot of bills and have some money sitting on the side should another contract not be available. If either happens and seems stable I would then move the family up. Worst case I just come back to Phoenix with some saved up money looking for another job. This job in Denver would provide more money for my family and this would allow for the wife to stop working and raise the kids again.

The relationship with my daughter is ok but she is almost 8 and already decided that her mom is her favorite. I wouldn't say its a 'lost cause' but I would say it would take a lot of work to get her to favor both parents equally (I wasn't around in the beginning due to all my time overseas)

Should I jump? What do you guys think?