Thread: Welders

Rocco83 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Welders

I've got some patching to do on a few spots on my frame. I was thinking of picking up a cheap welder to do the work myself and just to get better at welding. I haven't done a lot of welding in the past and do not have much experience. Would a flux core wire welder do the trick for working on my frame? I don't anticipate doing a lot of welding and fab work and could purchase one cheap from harbor freight, but I don't want to pick one up if it won't work. I like the fcww ones mainly because I don't have to get shielding gas and whatnot.

So anyone know if it would do ok for frame work?

Default Re: Welders

If I was you I would go around some pawn shops and get a pro meg 140 from Lincoln you can pick one up for around 250 I love mine

There is always a temptation to get a cheap welder and go to it. Flux core can be harder to weld than with gas. But it is doable. But I would do some practicing first. It is harder to weld vertical with flux than with gas if you know how to do it
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Rocco83 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I haven't welded with flux core yet. I've gotten into welding a lot of stainless at work lately. Mostly stainless wire onto 1/4" stainless cold roll and some hot roll.

The welder there though is a big expensive boy that I can not afford. I do have access to it though, but would prefer something at home I could work with from time to time and not break the budget.

Trying to balance jeep budget and going back to school.

If you can weld stainless successfully, then you could probably make it work. However you will be much happier with the gas. One thing that you can do with gas that is very inconvenient with flux is stitch weld, which is kind of necessary on the thin stuff, especially vertical
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

I was actually going to look at getting a cheap welder as well to get started on learning how to weld... Will def have to keep an eye out @ pawn shops and CL to find a decent deal on something that will hopefully work and not be a waste of money.. Not for sure if I want to attempt to weld in frame reinforcements as my first project... don't need to be messing up the already "flimsy" uniframe... I know it was mentioned to pick up a Lincoln 140.. but what does anyone think about the Hobart 140 for a beginner welder??
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 04-07-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Every bit as good as a lincoln James
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

Talking Re: Welders

I am in the market for a welder as well. Lots of then on market here. I am leaning towards a Miller bobcat or similar. Mig, tig and plasma cutting. Also is a back up Gen set if needed

I am an engineer but but have always welded a bit here and there. Got certified in over had years ago. Everyones advice about gas is correct in my opinion. I hate flux core. Plus I am in the salt belt. So clean is also important after the process is red and gooey
    Ulybrew
    Oswego IL
    Driveway:
    1998 XJ Sport RED XJ Club
    2nd XJ In Progress

Well, unfortunately the deal on the Hobart 140 I was going to go with, decided to back out and not sell it at the last minute.. oh well... just more money to spend on other Jeep parts.. But I will keep an eye out on another deal.. I will learn myself some welding one way or another...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES