Thread: Bought(lifted)not built. Lift question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bought(lifted)not built. Lift question...

Nice lookin XJ! That is definitely a lift shackle; the OEM part is formed sheet metal and shorter. Looks like u have a bit of sag in the leafs is all. There are numerous posts in this forum as to building bastard packs to get some lift or u could purchase an add-a-leaf that would probably give u the lift u r looking for. All in all it looks good!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's fixed, go break it!

Much of what you decide to do will probably have to do with what kind of ride you expect to get out of your XJ. To me, other than the extended shackle, it appears that there is a wedge added to the axle mount. That decreases the angle between the axle pinion and the transfer case. You may also be able to get longer shackles to increase the lift. I've found, that as far as I'm concerned, that new leaf springs are a much better ride than either spacers or add a leafs. But that's simply just my opinion.

I always have a lot of questions, but to me not asking the question can make you look a lot dumber than to ask it.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Okay so I've looked at the bastard packs and AAL to understand what that's all about.
    But I'm kid of thinking it doesn't seem to be too awfully expensive to just yank the rear lift and replace it with 4.5" springs for a couple hundred bucks.

So that raises some other questions if obviously I have shackle spacers should I hunt down stock ones or do new springs mount in place of the shackle lift?

What exactly appears to be wedged? The leaf pack or the shocks? Right now I have no driveline vibration so I guess if I replace the springs I may have to address that issue lol.

I guess to me it just seems more logical in the long run to just spend the 250-300 on 4.5" leafs and set it up right... The front end appears to be almost all still fairly new, how do you measure shackle lift? Measure form bolt hole to bolt hole? Perhaps it's all shackle lift in the rear and the leafs were never changed.

I'm firm believer if it ain't broke don't fix it so since the front end is golden for now I'll probably just re do the rear end in 4.5" the other option was pull the entire kit and go 6.5" on a complete kit so I know every piece and bolt going on underneath.