Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "POZER"

Default Project "POZER"

OK guys ... I am here to document the build of my '94 Cherokee.

First off, let me tell how I got into this thing.

It was back in 2010, it was a bad year for me ... lost my parents (old age), small house fire, and my 91 Corolla DD was T-boned and totaled...all within a few months of each other.

Close friends of ours, had this Cherokee parked on the side of their house for along time (never thought anything of it, until I lost the Toyota), So figured I would ask.

Turns out, they were getting ready to donate it for a write off. I asked ... and I scored the deal for 500 !! A one owner, clean XJ with 136K on the 4.0, auto, 231, D30/Chrysler.

I couldn't be happier ! Being he was a radiologist, he wasn't too handy with a screwdriver ... but did manage to keep up on the maintenance.

The funniest thing I remember him saying was "it runs great, but everytime you turn hard, smoke pours from the hood, smells funny, then you here a screeching sound" ...

Well when I got it, I turned hard and low and behold I found the problem....

The P/S press hose had a leak at the crimp that would only leak at full lock pressure , which would spray the exhaust manifold and the belt, hence the smoke and noise.

Besides a tune up, oil changes, oil leaks (pan,main and 3614 filter mod) its been trouble free.

First mod back then was I cut a piece of 2.5" diameter pipe 2" long to space the coils, and extended the rear shackle 4" to net 2" ... Just wanted the "FACTORY LOOK"

After going thru the first set of tires (56k on GY wranglers) ... it was time to tear into it again......Currently the odometer reads 196k

This time worn out suspension...
    -
    -
    I cant find stock pics of it, but here are some from Hollister Hills a while back (2"booster lift)

-

-

-

-

-
    -

Those running boards quickly disappeared !!!
    Last edited by ChiefRocka; 12-18-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Default Re: Project "POZER"

The Jeep had been showing signs of age ... worn bushings and shocks, bald tires, sagging leafs, etc ....

So I mentioned to the wife that I could by this cheap "KIT" that would take care of all the problems .....

OK .... The FUN STUFF begins !!
    -
    -
    -
    -
    One night .... (in this pic, the T/C was already pulled ... notice harness, and tranny fluid leaking)
    -
    -

-

-

I decided to go with the RC 4.5-6.5" LONG ARM Kit. I found the listing on Ebay, but bypassed it and spoke directly with Adam's Driveshafts and he gave me a great deal ... which included a NEW CV style DL, and the necessary T/C SYE mod parts....at a shop price.

Another thing, I wanted a lift that replaced the real leafs ... not a add-a-leaf style. My leafs were wasted (common with XJ's, when you treat them like a 1-ton truck and tow with them ... :lol

I really wanted to do the junkyard lift, but considering how busy I am, it would never get done ...

MISC pics .... new parts
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

Last week sometime, I started with the rear.

The new rear leafs got a touch up of black paint ... might as well start fresh now .....
    -
    -

-
    -
    Leafs in ... extended shackles from booster lift still in. I might fab up a new stock set if ends up too high ....
    -
    -

-
    NOTICE MY CUSTOM SINGLE IN DUAL OUT ( I MEAN SINGLE OUT ) FLOWMASTER ..... :lol:
    -

-
    -
    Stock shackle was cut in half, and a 2x4 piece of rect. tubing welded in to net 2" originally ....
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -
    Shackle angle will need to be addressed, obviously

Before I could start on the front, the T/C had to be back in the Jeep, with new crossmember....
    -
    -
    T/C SYE conversion .... Upon disassembly, I found the chain to be worn, and slacked pretty good ....
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

Worn out ....
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    Everything else looked good ...
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

I figured it would be cheap insurance to install a new seal and o-ring in oil pump ....

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

Now with the T/C in, I can get the jack out from under the tranny and support with the crossmember. Installed the T/C skid, Driveline, and finshed up the rear with the brake line ....
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

Moving on to the front now .... FORKLIFTS are so handy !!
    -
    -

-
    -
    Scrap steel ...
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -
    Since the lift replaces all but two bushings, new stock replacements were installed. I welded in a piece of tubing to aid in pressing in the new bushing...
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -
    I'll just leave it on the table for now ....
    -
    -

Last night, we got the steering and front frame horn area reinforced.

Another common occurrence with the XJ is for the steering box area to crack. I found this a while ago, when I finally decided to investigate the creaking noises I had for several months. I had welded those last month. I decided to go with the JCR kit and do BOTH sides. This kit is a bolt on stiffener, which locates to all stock mounting points (box, swaybar, and bumper. This kit also prep the front frame area for a future winch bumper if wanted.

I will fab up my own steering box crossover brace later.

The kit came in raw steel, but since we have a powder coater across the parking lot, it makes it really convenient !! Especially, when we blast the parts in house , and 'throw' them in with other parts ....
    -
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -

-
    -
    DORK...
    -
    -

My little helper lending dad a hand in the blasting area .... :laugh::laugh:
    -
    -

-
    -
    That's it for this early morning posting.

Maybe tonight, I will continue on the Jeep ....

:metal:

A few days later (as time allowed) .... back with a few more pics from a earlier this week ...

My buddy who lives 2 hrs away was in town for two days on some work, and said here is some free labor. So he helped me out getting ahead, while I keep busy on customers rides ....

I had assembled the rod ends already, so it was a matter of assembling it all together. Long arms and axle go in ....
    -
    -

-

-

-
    -
    Next came coils and shocks, and brake lines ....
    -
    -

-

-

I had been hesitant on my rim style and tire make for weeks.

Always checking CL and nothing. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a steel 15x8 tire and wheel package, when I decide to check CL one more time, good thing I did !!
    -
    -
    In my town, about 10 minutes away, a guy was selling 4 15x8 black powdercoated aluminum wheels for 300 ... I had to check them out ...
    -
    -

-
    -
    When I arrived, I realized he had FIVE of them, and ended up getting them all for 250 !!
    -
    -

-
    -
    Yes these are the POZER beadlocks, but I think I kinda like them. And unlike the steel poser locks, these have larger holes right on the wheels lip that should allow for better draining of mud/sand etc.

I like the blue, but my Jeep has the red stripe in the side trim, so they might be powered RED ....

You have a great start John. I like those wheels too
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Half my Jeep is built off of Craigslist, .....heck, I even bought the thing on CL...
    I like the direction your heading with this.... keep up the good work!
    (jealous of those wheels BTW)
    5" lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
    Built Not Bought - Senior Member
    TheVoiceofJosh.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast