Thread: Status Report of Lenny (my '99 XJ)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Status Report of Lenny (my '99 XJ)

So I finally have Lenny in my possession, which is bad ass. She is in overall great shape. THere seems to be a large list of "little" things that need to be tended to:
    Interior/cosmetics
    -the dome light above the rear view is missing (looking for one of those)
    -the cabin dome light cover is missing
    - the manual window handle keeps falling off, (looking for a clamp to keep that from falling off all the time
    - the rear wiper motor doesn't work, but the motor can be heard running. It really just seems like it doesn't have enough umf.
    - And I seem to only have two speakers, one of which doesn't work. Gonna have to fix that.

Things that seem more serious.
    -the transmission fluid is very dark brown, which is not good, working on getting that flushed the first chance I get.
    -there is a loud squeaking noise coming from the hood, it sounds like it might be a belt. It only squeaks when the defroster is on, so maybe a/c? associated?
    -the power steering seems to hiss a bit when turning, probably could use a fluid change.

-***this is my largest concern*** and I have a couple ideas as to what it might be but am not too sure. There is a loud clanking noise that comes from the front end of the XJ when I hit a pothole, or or any related jolt to the vehicle. I have read around and think it might just be a bad shock (or two), or possible a bushing that is out? It is a loud, metal on metal type of sound, kind of like the dropping a wrench on metal, not sure what the deal is. Any help is appreciated.

All in all, I have some great little projects ahead of me, and CANNOT WAIT!!!

Also, filled up for the first time, i registered 19.4 mpg on mostly highway driving, I am impressed. Tons of fun to drive as well.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, as well as a good place to buy XJ parts and such. Thanks
    Last edited by GR33N_Ophelia; 12-08-2013 at 06:03 PM.