Thread: Roof Rail Rehab

Default Roof Rail Rehab

I decided it was time to replace the crappy factory screws holding the decorative rails to the roof with something better. I noticed, while rehabbing the mount rails that Jeep used rubber Well Nuts to attach them. I'm sure it was a cost issue but the decorative rails were attached using self-tapping screws and a dab of some sort of sticky stuff, presumably to prevent leaking? From the factory, they are attached using a screw and plastic collar that tends to disintegrate after several years of exposure to the elements. Sorry this isn't a more interesting project, just practicing my write-up skills for when I actually do something important

The obvious first step was to remove the rails. That revealed a nasty mess.

I cleaned up the mess...

Here are the things you'll need (besides (12) 5/16" Well Nuts, stainless button-head screws, and appropriate size nylon washers): Electric drill, pilot drill (smaller than 5/16ths), stepper drill, and masking tape.

Tape each of the holes to prevent metal shavings from damaging the paint. This step will likely be more important to some than others. My paint is in good shape so I didn't want to mess it up with spinning spirals of sheet metal.

Use the pilot drill to enlarge the hole. Make sure you control the drill so that you don't punch through something important (like your headliner) when it goes through. I used a vacuum to suck up the little bits.

Next, use the stepper drill to enlarge the hole to 5/16ths inch. I marked the drill with a Sharpee so I knew when to stop.

I went slightly beyond 5/16ths creating a slight chamfer at the hole opening. This was the result.

Next, press in the Well Nut. It can be a bit difficult but the fit needs to be as tight as possible to prevent the nut from spinning in the hole when you tighten it and to keep water out when it's tight.

Well Nuts installed...

Now, reinstall the stainless rails

Here are some other pics of the finished project...

Default Re: Roof Rail Rehab

good job
    91 Cherokee RC 4.5 long arm lift ECTED locker in the front Lock Rite locker in the rear Warn front and rear bumpers with 8000lb Warn winch sliders Skyjacker shocks and disconects exterior paint orange/black Rinoline. Roof rack with KC lights. SADLY GONE BUT WON'T BE FORGETEN But hay there is still a XJ in the family

97 TJ 6" Super Lift lift 2" body lift 37x13.5 tires front and rear OX lockers full roll cage custom made f/r bumpers and sliders made by AAE Customs 8000# Ramsey winch with Kevlar rope and a sound system that can make you ears bleed