Thread: How To Install Ironman Andy's Shackle Relocation Kit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: How To Install Ironman Andy's Shackle Relocation Kit.

They're in!

Overall impressions: It made the ride feel more stable (or maybe that was just retightening the rear suspension) and it handles bumps much smoother now. It also leveled out my rear so now my sagging rear sits about stock height. I also have fewer bumps and squeaks.

Keeping the relocation brackets loose until just before you set it back on the ground definitely helped. One additional tip I have: if possible, attach the shackles to the brackets first then attach the leaf springs. Its much easier to get a little wiggle room out of the leafs. This likely won't work on the exhaust side with stock exhaust as the downturn is in contact with the lower shackle mounting bolt. I will have an exhaust shop move my downturn back a few inches to clear the hitch and shackle better.

For reference, here are the torque specs I used and tools (1998 XJ so your's may be different because Jeep).

Lower shackle bolts - 80 ft/lb - 13/16 deep socket (or wrench) and 13/16 regular socket for the other side.
    Upper shackle bolts - 110 ft/lb - 13/16 socket and 22mm socket (or wrench, which would probably be easier) for the nut on the supplied bolt.
    Upper bracket bolt (previously upper shackle bolt) - 110 ft/lb - 13/16 socket.
    Hitch nuts for driver side - 75 ft/lb - 22mm deep socket.
    Hitch bolts for passenger side - 75 ft/lb - 19mm socket with extension for all but one. Mine has a single 18mm at the rearmost position you may need an 18mm socket for.
    Lower shock mounts - snug but not torqued - 18mm socket.
    Lug nuts - 100 ft/lb - 3/4 deep socket or 13/15 deep socket depending on lug nuts.

Torque specs are a combination of my manuals and various online sources. Leave your shackles loose until your jeep is resting on its own weight again. Give it a few bounces to help the suspension settle before torquing.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Edit: Added two comparison shots to show rear height before and after.

Before:

After:
    Last edited by s1xty7; 12-02-2014 at 04:41 PM.