Problem solved, I think. Figure this one out...Tried to test the elec. fan bypassing the harness w a jumper, nothing. Removed and re-connected elec. connection, nothing. Checked the 40 amp fuse, ok. Already had replaced the fan relay. So, I called my buddy who works at O'Reilly, went there thinking new fan was bad,(119) and I would get a replacement. Left the fan unplugged for the 10 mi. trip, drove w no ac, no overheating. My buddy comes out of O'reilly, plugs the fan back up and it starts running like a champ. Tested it for about 10 mi. before returning home WITH the ac running and it stayed cool, or at least it did'nt overheat, and been that way since.

My dash guage still reads a little right of 210 degrees. I still think thats too hot, but it seems to work although everything I've read and heard says the cooling system for this year and this engine is marginal at best. With 172K miles on it, I may just go ahead and do the elec. bypass w a manual switch, or the adjustable thermostat. Love the idea of running at 165 degrees the way another XJ'er mentioned, I think w an adjustable thermostast.

This car is my wife's daily driver and although it only 2 WD we love it. (won't make that mistake again). 4X4 forever...

Really thankful to all of you for your ideas, and suggestion. You guys have been more helpful than anyone I have talked to. Everything I've done to the car came from the suggestions and learning from this forum.

thanks...