Thread: 89 Jeep Cherokee Starting Probs

Default 89 Jeep Cherokee Starting Probs

Hey guys me and my dad just finished putting in a new transmission for my 89 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Everything went pretty well with the install untill we went to go start it up. It took me about a month to come up with the money to get a new transmission. Well while waiting for the transmission i would go out and put my battery in and listen to music and clean the inside. Well 2 days ago before we put the transmission in i was jacking up the jeep and didnt think anything of it but my battery was still in and we never did take my starter completly off and as i was jacking it i see smoke coming from the top of my hood. Im guessing the starter wire touched the frame or something and it caused my ground wire from the firewall to the back of my motor to melt in half. Well i got a new ground wire and put it in and checked around to make sure no other wires looked melted or burnt. Looked fine from what i could tell. Well 2 days pass we get the transmission in and now i try to start it and it just sits there and turns over and turns over. We checked to see if i was getting spark and im getting no spark at all. We did some test light checking and it led us to think it was the coil. Well i had a spare coil so i put it in. Still no luck. We can not figure out whats going on. Could it possibly be a relay or a fuse? If so where would it be? Could i test it? Could someone please help me out. Im still in highschool and have been waiting 2 months almost to get this thing back on the road. I would love to be able to drive to school the last few weeks that we have.

Default Re: 89 Jeep Cherokee Starting Probs

When you put the tranny in, did you change flex plates? The first thing that comes to mind is the crank position sensor, a common problem. Could also have been damaged in the install.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

yeah i changed them. Im having a strong feeling that its the CPS like you were saying. Your about the 5th person that has told me that and i bought the jeep from my uncle and he said about every month it wouldnt start and he would have to get down there and pull on the wires and move them around on the CPS till it started.

Try unplugging the CPS and plugging it back in.

I read somewhere else where someone said to unplug it for like 5 minutes. I killed my battery today trying to start it so I said screw it & unplugged it for the night till tomorrow. I'll charge my battery tomorrow & see what happens.

My brother is having a problem with his '90 not starting, just cranking over but not firing. Unplugs the CPS for a second, plugs it back in and fires up. So, i don't THINK it matters on the time. Let us know the results.

My dad went outside after work turned it over with the meter in the CPS plug. Got no volts at all. Pulled it out and it was completly thrashed...went and picked up a new one for 35, put it in and she started on the first try. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad ya got it fixed up, its nice when its not too hard.