I have a 96 Cherokee 4.0 auto. The other day I was driving when all of a sudden it started to sputter and the gas peddle had no effect. It then stalled in the middle of the road. It smelled of gas pretty bad. I then tried to start it and it wouldn't start so I sat for about a minute and tried again and it started after cranking for a few seconds. I then drove it to my friends house a few blocks away where it then sputtered and stalled again. I then got out and was looking underneath and in the engine bay and nothing looked out of the norm. So I cranked it over and it started right up and drove it home which is about 2 miles away from my friends house. Along the way it sputtered once or twice but never actually stalled. Today I went to move it into my driveway and it started up right away and ran great but I have yet to drive it around the block. I tried looking up any info on my phone, and it seems like my cps is bad or going bad, but I don't want to just throw parts at it, so is there a way I could test this to see of it is bad or if it is a different part?
Thanks, Steven