It's all good
With the wheels in the air their is no resistance. So the steering box turns the wheels to where you want them before there is any pressure built up. Basically there is no steering assist because you don't need it. If the wheels were on the ground there will be resistance so there will be pressure to the ram.
Another note that is interesting once I drove it I had a dead spot in the center where there was no assist. This was annoying.
I had drilled out the flow control orifice on my old pump to 5/32". I had no assist at idle. I had kept the orifice when I changed to a rebuilt pump.
I tried this orifice and could turn the wheel at idle with the locker in and tires aired down with my pinky. This sucked at speed because the steering was so touchy and no feedback. The orifice from the rebuilt pump was a loose 7/64". I drilled it out to 1/8" which is less than a 64th over. This gave steering very close to stock, even at idle with the front locked. I need to try this in the rocks yet but it looks like it will work fine.