Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep breaking studs

Default Re: Keep breaking studs

these are not the shank kind for mag wheels mine still our acorn style and i have the mickey thompson the fake bead lock ones

Let me ask this since you were told to use a specific type stud.

Do those studs screw in to the hub then instead of being pulled through the backside? Or did the studs you have pictured just snap off?

Now if the studs snapped off chances are the studs were too long to begin with. Now if the lug nuts were coming loose they could have been bottoming out and not giving enough clamping force to hold the wheel tight against the hub as it should. This will cause the holes in the wheel to get screwed up and can cause studs to break also.

The lug nuts you have are shank style, just with a tapered seat. The shank part is supposed to help center the wheel on the hub.

i install the studs with a air hammer take no time to change have had the front end apart several times
    [IMG][/IMG]

so i spent the day on the phone with mile marker and their engineer says he has never had any problem with the set up i should be able to run a much bigger tire if i wanted to. I have come to a conclusion it has to do with my wheels, the studs our dorman and are grade 8 and have .279 on the head if it means anything, i went to order studs from mile marker and they suggested i go to the part store with the part number they gave me to save shipping so i know i have the right stud installed . i will load up pics to show kinda what i am dealing with. today when i pulled the lug nuts off to take a pic there was a sleeve/insert of some sort that came out of the wheel never have seen this before
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

The inserts are no big deal. Some wheel manufacturers use them depending on the style of wheel.

Now onto your pictures, from what I can see, either the studs were bad or the lug nuts were over torqued. Proper torque for Cherokees is 85-115 ft/lbs. I would recommend 100 ft/lbs torque(happy medium).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12