Thread: Lunch box lockers break?

Default Lunch box lockers break?

I want to install a lunchbox locker, but have read here that locking the front is not a good idea if you drive in snow. Being I live in W.Michigan, that would be me. I have been told by the place where I would like to have this installed, that they don't recommend Aussie or powertrax because they break to easy. I don't intend to go radical off road, just something to get me through where the stock "opens" would loose traction (opposite one front and one rear on ground for example).

I have read a lot of good things about Lokka (Aussie) locker and Powertrax. Do they break or wear out quickly? Has anybody had trouble with them? This will be my daily driver too.

Default Re: Lunch box lockers break?

Generally the Aussie is very reliable. I have had one in the rear for about 18 months. I have used it hard twice in the granite of the Sierras on some famous trails including the Fordyce trail. The only complaint I had was coming back from the last trip to Fordyce it was disengaging on the highway and reengaging causing the rear to shift. I took it apart when I got back and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I though I had beveled the teeth, but couldn't find it. I turned the halves around and reinstalled and had no trouble since. I since installed an Aussie front, but haven't tried it out yet. And yes they will give you some problems on snow and ice.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

nickxj94 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I have never seen or heard of one breaking you should be fine long as your not rock bouncing it then you would break ring and pinons carriers and axle shafts lol.. Aussie is a good one, Spartan and lock right are good too just make sure they send you a hardened center pin..sounds like who you talked too was trying to sell you a 1000.00 air locker. They will wear out eventually but takes awhile you may have to replace the springs if it starts acting up not unlocking while in 2wd and turning for example,but there worth the money for light wheelin' under a 33 inch tire 35s and up you will want to upgrade axle shafts in the d30 as the will snap under hard load.

SENT FROM RIVER VALLEY OFFROAD
    Last edited by nickxj94; 03-04-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    --______......
    . /__| _ | _\ / / \,____.
    |/ \ \_ | _/_/ \|EIIIIIIEI
    '( o ))-=--) ( o ))--=--)).Just another GREEN XJ lifted on 33's

Now that I think about it, I saved my old spider gears in the event I started driving over the pass. I would take the Aussies out for the winter driving and put them back in for summer wheeling.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Oh yeah, that's an idea. I could always pull it out of the rear if I find winter driving too odd. Good thought!

Yea, I believe it. It was his "recommendation". That or possibly an "Eaton". Thanks for your info.

I had a Spartan locker in the front of my TJ and wheeled it extensively. It is a two edged sword. Better traction but you lose some of the steering agility. There are situations where the front would want to "crab" but overall for the money I feel that they cannot be beat. I would recommend one as a "Bang for the Buck" addition to your rig.