Thread: New exhaust questions

Default New exhaust questions

My 92 4.0 needs a new exhaust system. I don't want big sound or anything like that just upgrade from the worn out stock.
    I have questions. Is dual worth the Money?
    While it is being done should I replace the catalytic Converter?
    What has worked for you Guys?
    DIVE NOW.....Work later!!!!

Default Re: new exhaust questions

Dualing it out is not worth the money. The only way to do a true dual on a straight 6 is by using a split header, which are expensive. May as well replace the cat while your at it. You can get a universal high flow Magnaflow cat pretty cheap from summit racing or jegs. As far as muffler goes, well just depends on the sound you want. Im running a highflow cat and a SLP loudmouth muffler, like the sound but its pretty damn loud.

Default Re: new exhaust questions

I don't think duals are worth the money at all at least not on our engines... I have a Flowmaster 40 series w/ 2.5" piping from the cat back, and love the sound of it... I have heard a few folks that have the Magnaflow mufflers and they sound pretty nice, just not a whole lot louder than stock... Then again I'm sure if you replace the cat w/ a highflow unit... the exhaust would probably be nicer sounding and would def free up the flow of exhaust...
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

Default Re: New exhaust questions

Forget duals. In order to have a true dual, you would need to be running the 00 - 01 engine and computer with the four O2 sensors. A good single is just as good.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Stick with the single, replace the cat with a high flow model, get as quiet a muffler as you like. Magna flow makes some that are fairly quiet or just go with a stock type muffler.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

I would replace the cat when you are doing t he exhaust if it is the original cat. Might as well take care of it while you are digging into the exhaust.

I run the Walker Dynomax system and love it. My boddy has the Flowmaster on his XJ and that is nice too. Hard to go wrong with either one.

i run the APN header, 2.5 inch exhaust pipe to my 2.5 in magnaflow high flow cat, then 2.5 to my flowmaster super 40 dumped before axle with a 3.5 in turn down. dont dump the exhaust unless you want alot of drone, it gives me a headache lol im going to fix it. apn header made it sound better and felt more improvement from the engine.