I have owned a 1999 XJ and a 1995 Civic for a little over 2 years now and here is a product review/comparison on them. Disclaimer: Im a sport compact guy and the XJ is my 2nd SUV.

Gas mileage: Civic(38) XJ(17-21) Civic doubles XJ but XJ gets more road time and therefore is entitles to eat more fuel per mile.

General exterior styling: Civic: aerodynamic, no lines, nice looking rear end, and nonthreatening family car look. XJ: box on wheels, sharp enges and definitive body lines, in stock form looks like your average people carrier.

Interior styling: Civic: horrid seats, functional dash, very cool climate control, useless fold down seat. XJ: Decent seats that creak, dash is boring but has all functions included that are expected, dislike climate control, fold down seat makes it a truck with a camper shell on it(awesum)

When it breaks: Civic: Honda realized eventually there baby would fail to function so the engineers made it very easy to work on. XJ: I dont know maybe one of the engineers lost his wife to a mechanic so he took out his vengeance on those who dare to fix a broken XJ.

Mechanical: To be fair once I replaced the parts that caused it to be a used car both have been great. Prices for parts are about the same. Although the XJ seems to like radiators and water pumps where the Civic is content with just a radiator.

The road: Civic: to and from work and around town this is where it shines. XJ: Crap weather, can pull downed trees out of the road or drive around them, easy to sleep in if need be.

Usefulness: Civic: save lots money on fuel, that unique 4 banger sound (which I like), Can hold way more stuff than expected, useful in autocross events. XJ: Little worry about not finding a way home, Can move many of your possessions at once especially with a trailer on back, Has the ability to take you to places you would normally have to walk to see.

Misc: Civic: Its orange with a black hood, I like looking at it, music sounds great in it, low to the ground, no emissions test required, interesting swaps both mechanical and visual possible. XJ: Just nice to be in, many cool visual and just plain useful upgrades possible, its red (which is the perfect color for any vehicle), okish to sleep in, has a useful center console.

To sum up: I may sell off the Civic this summer and buy a TDI VW or a Hybrid but I cant find a newer vehicle better than the XJ(unless they do a diesel in the Wangler unlimited and subtract price). Both are good at what they do and have great aftermarket parts available. I am happy with both of my purchases.