Thread: Project - 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Project - 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport

next weird thing....when I hit my brakes, the odometer and the radio goes dim. I check my ground wire on the battery and the terminal seem fine. I will check the alternator too and ground wire on the engine. Last time I went off roading, I didn't bother washing off the mud and I drove in a snow storm last night, so I wonder if it is drawing power when I hit the brakes.

Default Re: Project - 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport

This could be the answer to my strange dimming problem. Will try this solution and let everyone know.

Quote:
    The front corner park lights also will also light up each time I press the brakes... this is so weird!

Quote:
    you could also have a bulb that has failed such that it is backfeeding . . .

Yes, it's not an uncommon problem. The rear stop (brake) and tail lights are actually two separate filaments inside the same bulb. Filaments usually fail by breaking, leaving a loose end that can drop down onto the other filament. If power is then applied to one of the filaments, such as the stop light, some power can go through the broken piece to the other filament, which is the tail light. The tail light filament connects to all four corner parking (clearance) lights, so they will also seem to come on. In some cases, the dash control lights (radio, heater) will come on as well. They might be dim.

start by checking or just replacing the two rear stop/tail lights. Probably one is faulty.