Thread: Anti Seize

Default Anti Seize

A couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune to have a wheel stuck to a hub.With much appreciated help from THE FORUM,I was able to remove the wheel. In one of the post It was suggested for me to in the future,use a thin coat of anti-seize around the rim to prevent this from happening again.I've also seen in other post recommendations to use this product in various places.Thinking back to every rusted nut and bolt I have ever had to remove,and being a pro-active kind of guy I immediately decided to apply this stuff everywhere.Then I stopped and took a breath,and realized that at some point this practice may be counter productive and maybe just outright wrong for some applications. My questions are 1.) What type is good for what application.(real world stuff, not what's advertised) 2.) Anybody have a brand preference. 3.) What should it defintely not be used on.

Default Re: Anti Seize

I can't really think of anything that is exposed to the weather that you wouldn't want to use it on. I especially use it on wheel studs. Saves breaking them
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

LizardRunner is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

I use it on every bolt and nut I touch. Now, if you want to have some fastener weld/rust it's self in place so you can never get it off, just leave off the anti-seize.
    2004 4.7v8HO WJ OMG, it's RED , Green bits are now under the hood. Loving the F/R Lockers and D44's. RIP 2011 Lil Ric and Gordo. RIP 2012 Jessie RIP 2013 Kat. RIP 2013 Ed . Lizards can always climb but sometimes they loose their tails to get away. The true patriot will stand beside the soldier when the time comes to fight Now building Asnikiye heca (Buzzard's Roost) homestead farm. My road is my wheeling trail

Spark plugs yes, other engine parts no. Suspension parts no, basically anything you do not want coming loose do not use it on. Use locktite on anything you want to stay put.I do not use it on very many things , I use locktite alot more than antiseaze.
    Aint got no whistle, don't belch out smoke, but my V10 aint no joke !!!

I guess I've been lucky. The only bolts I've had break are some of the ones holding on my fender flares. Course now I have to go knock on wood