Thread: Help with decision, please

Default Help with decision, please

I bought my XJ this summer. It needed a little work, but figured I would have it ready for winter. I did a lot of little things on it (battery, water pump, exhaust manifold, etc), and thought I had it ready to go, when it developed a knock. Dropped the pan: broken piston!

I'm not sure what to do with it at this point. The only decision I've made for sure is that it's going to sit til spring, cause I don't have the money for a major repair right now. It is a 98 Sport 4x4 4.0 auto. The body is pretty solid, though I think there's some rot in at least one of the rockers, since the PO sprayed them with bedliner. There was a little bubbling on the inside bottom of the doors, which I wire-wheeled and primed/painted. The interior is pretty nice. It has 181k miles, but I know of no problems with the rest of the drivetrain. The factory aluminum wheels had been powder-coated black by the PO, which looks pretty nice, but it could use a set of tires.

Rebuilding the engine would be the best option, but obviously, the most expensive. I haven't found any used engines locally. I've been looking a little, but I'm sure low-mileage ones are pretty scarce. I also know that I could drop a used engine in, and have something break in it shortly after (not likely, but possible). I've even considered throwing in the towel and parting it out, but I don't know what I would get out of it in the end, and it seems kinda wasteful, considering that it's in decent shape besides the engine.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: help with decision, please

Mods: If this should have been posted in the General section, please move it for me. Thanks.

cantab27 is offline Level: Uber Jeep Cherokee Trailer Queen

Default Re: help with decision, please

engine died young.....had it had a hard life with po........drop a 2nd hand one in her....one ya can hear running first ...some on here have rebuilt them they may chime in with a figure..good luck mate
    keeping it red........

I DRIVE A BARBIE JEEP

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4IV
    .... lol Im a jerk tonight!
    Originally Posted by bigjim350 View Post
    Think I would go that crazy too if my Jeep turned white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGg0C...eature=related