Thread: Ignition question

Default Ignition question

Hey guys. I haven't been here since, well a few months ago. Not sure what happened but it went from July to November and I seem to have lost a few months somewhere in there.
    Anyway, the Jeep has been reluctant to start ever since I got it, but has gotten worse the last few weeks. Once it starts it runs like a champ. Initially I thought fuel pump and it just wasn't getting gas up there, but then I also realized that when I go a few days without driving the jeep the next time out she fires right up. If it was a fuel pump I would think it would be much more consistant. I've also noticed it seems to be running a little rich and a couple other things. Anyway, I figured some plugs and wires would be good for her. Then I decided while I'm at it I may as well do cap and rotor. Then I decided while I'm at that, should I throw on a new coil?
    So my questions, should I put a new coil on it? As far as I know it's the original from 1993/85k miles. What do you recommend for one? Without breaking the bank, is there really much difference in brands of plugs/wires/cap/rotor/coil? It looks like I can do all of those for about 100.
    Does that sound about right?

Default Re: Ignition question

Ok, sorry guys, change of question. I didn't see where I could delete the original and start over, so hopefully this works?
    This morning the Jeep wouldn't start. I can hear the fuel pump kick on for a couple seconds when I first turn the key to the "on" position. I left the key in the on position and pushed on the valve on the fuel rail and just got a little gurgle of gas. Shouldn't it be more? I'm trying to see what the actual pressure is supposed to be, but so far I'm not finding anything. Is this the fuel pump? Pressure regulator? How do I find out?
    Thanks for the help.

First, you can change your post with the "Edit" button

So now to your dilemma. Checking the fuel rail pressure is the next step I think. The fuel pump is supposed to come on for about 2 seconds until it starts. You may have a bad pressure regulator or check valve, but you won't know until you read the pressure
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Built 4L60E with manual lockout
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    Warn 9.5ti on custom bumper
    7.5" RE front and bastard pack rear on custom long arms
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers
    And a bunch of other stuff

Got her started. Had to pump the gas pedal quite a bit to get it going. Once running I hit the valve on the rail again and managed to shoot fuel about 3 feet. I pulled the vaccuum line of the (I think) it's the regulator and I could hear the vaccum. There was a barely noticeable change in the idle. I did notice there was a few drops of gas dripping out. It didn't seem like that should be the case.
    How do I test fuel pressure to find out? I'm assuming I have to have a tester?

You hook up a gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail.
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers

If you don't have said test gauge already, you can rent one from Autozone as part of their tool rentals, at least all my local AZ's have them for rent... They aren't that expensive either really, but do you plan on making use of one enough times to really purchase one?? LOL
    FORMER GREEN XJ CLUB MEMBER
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!
    DOING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE YOUR BUDDY DOES IT THAT WAY MAKES AS MUCH SENSE AS SHARING TOOTHBRUSHES

I would like to think I'm not going to use one that much, but then it's also about 20 minutes to the closest parts store, so really how many times do I use it before it would pay for itself in gas?
    Once I get one and get it hooked up, what am I looking for?
    I'm sorry for my ignorance, please be patient.

You want to see how much pressure you have with the 2 second run of the pump, how much pressure when running and if it bleeds off when you shut it down short and long term
    230 hp 4.3L Chevy
    Atlas 4 speed
    Griffin radiator
    On board air
    30 gal gas tank
    lockers