PDA

View Full Version : Winches.... what's in a name?

denverd1
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Started shopping for a winch. Hitting CL and ebay. you can spend 1500 or 300 depending on the whose got their name on it. I recognize Smittybilt and Warn. Is Champion good? Found one close for cheap..

How often do some of you pull cable? I'm not doing anything crazy, but it would be nice to have for when you're wheeling by yourself. And why do most Jeep winches look like they're in 10000 lb range. XJ's weigh in at 3500'ish, maybe 4K if you're all decked out with armor, huge bumpers, etc. Wouldn't a 5000 lb work?

Mudderoy
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Started shopping for a winch. Hitting CL and ebay. you can spend 1500 or 300 depending on the whose got their name on it. I recognize Smittybilt and Warn. Is Champion good? Found one close for cheap..

How often do some of you pull cable? I'm not doing anything crazy, but it would be nice to have for when you're wheeling by yourself. And why do most Jeep winches look like they're in 10000 lb range. XJ's weigh in at 3500'ish, maybe 4K if you're all decked out with armor, huge bumpers, etc. Wouldn't a 5000 lb work?

Everything I've heard is 8k to 9k recommended for a XJ. Rguignard has a smitty built and he's used the crap out of it. I think he had to replace a capacitor, or something simple, that was due to high water crossing, but don't quote me. I don't use mine nearly as much but I wanted something that I could depend on so I got a name brand. Obviously Warn would have been my first choice but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $1k to $1.5k for a winch. Superwinch was recommended to me, and that is what I got. I paid $499 shipping included for a Epi 9.0, which I think has been replaced by a newer model now.

I've only used it about 6 times, but it works great. I figured that $299 for a SmittyBuilt, or $499 for a name brand, well I went with the name.

denverd1
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Now i see Quadratec's 9K winch is 294... 11K is 394
http://www.quadratec.com/Showcases/new_and_hot/default2.php

Is Quadratec a rebadged winch of another make? Dependable?

denverd1
02-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks Muddy.

Mudderoy
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Now i see Quadratec's 9K winch is 294... 11K is 394
http://www.quadratec.com/Showcases/new_and_hot/default2.php

Is Quadratec a rebadged winch of another make? Dependable?

In December 2011 our give away was a SmittyBuilt 8k winch. We ordered it through Amazon and got free shipping on it. Shipping is generally about $60 for a winch. So before you order one from someone, assuming you're not going to pick it up locally, check out Amazon's price. The Superwinch I bought for myself was also though Amazon, yep, free shipping.

Oh and if you do purchase through Amazon, be sure to click the Amazon banner ad on xjtalk's home page before ordering! lol how self serving is that?!?!?!

KH96XJ
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
I've got an old Warn 8000lb I still need to mount on my jeep. If all you were doing it rolling weight across flat ground or up onto a trailer then yeah, 5k lbs would be fine. However, when you need it you are either stuck in mud or in a steep incline trying to get over a ledge/rock so that adds a lot of resistance to the pull so you aren't just pulling 4k lbs of vehicle anymore. I've heard that you need a winch with at least double the weight capacity of your vehicle to be on the safe side.

I remembered seeing this on another forum, might be worth considering. I can send you the link if you want.

"Warn 8274 upright
As most of you know, awesome winch. IMO, best ever made. Holds 150' of line instead of the 100' the laydowns hold. Fast line speed, and pulls like a beast. I've never mounted it, but have spent the last 2 weeks cleaning the grime off, changing the oil, painting the fairlead and hook, etc. The new ones sell for $1800 or so. I want $500. It has everything, even remote. I can show you how to hook up an incab remote if you want. I have an in cab on mine and one mounted inside the grill.

Trades? Maybe? 44 mag pistol, wide track CJ axels with 4.10s or 4.56's (ready to roll), hmmm, regear my axels?

PS the wood plate on top was just to hold the spool in place until I got the fairlead on. I have tested it, smooth in smooth out. Have NOT put a hard pull on it, though, cause I've never mounted it up.

903-824-0599"

Located in Texarkana

Kenny811
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
I just bought a ENGO www.engousa.com 9000 for $300 brand new out the door. According to shoot out they killed Warn. The Company is Long Beach Wa. They said they will stand by every part of the winch, no matter. It came with a sealed water tight control box, 1 year warranty and lifetime on the winch it self.

Firemanray
02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
I have an older model Warn. It's either 8000# or 10,000#, all I know is I treat it like a red head step child and it will still pick my Xj up vertical!!

JENSSEN
02-28-2012, 09:17 PM
My Warn is for sale!!

I swapped the perfectly good Warn for a King One from www.chandaauto.ca , I was very skeptical on a brand I had never heard of,. It's fricken fast and draws WAY less amperage,.. My warn would flatten a battery under winching even revving the trucks engine, the King One I can winch at idle in the same situation.

Check out the Australian winch review , I will see if I can find the link.

RTPG
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
"Winches.... what's in a name?"

Great question!

IMO: Currently: there are only a select few winches offered that are worth paying attention to their name.

Even main stream winch companies like Warn are using "over seas" parts in some of their winches.

IMO: I see winch buyers as such:

#1 "I only have $350 MAX to spend and as such I will deal with any warranty issues if/when they happen."

#2 "I trust my winch will save my life when needed and I won't loose any sleep over worrying if it will work or not when needed so I will pay top dollar for it."

If you fall into category one... you need to pay attention to the manufacturing company sticker on the winch, and the retail company you buy the winch from.

Why? If the manufacturing company "making" the winch is new... will they be around long enough to use their warranty? AND: If the retail company you buy the winch from is new... will they be around long enough for them to help you with the warranty process?

Most manufacturers won't honor a warranty without proper proof of purchase. Some manufacturers also require the retailing company to initiate the warranty. If you can't do what the manufacturers require, your warranty is bunk. In this economy with many companies going out of business: I get contacted once in a while asking if I will make up fake receipts for people that bought a product from a company that went out of business. :bang:

Category 2 usually means the manufacturing company knows what's going on with their products and so long as you bought their product from an authorized dealer you will get helped.

I am a member of many offroad forums. Some swear by brand X, some swear by brand Z, and some just swear for no apparent reason. :shocker:

I see many people complain about or praise many different winches.

If I knew of ONE company that made the perfect affordable winch each and every time I would ONLY sell that winch. As it is, there are many companies selling winches and they keep changing the specs on their winches so it is impossible to always know what winch is best at every given moment.

I say you buy what you can afford and follow the manufacturers installation instructions when installing the winch. Test it as much as possible before really needing it, and MOST importantly: Don't rely on just your winch to get you home.

Remember: "A winch is just one of many tools you might need if you get stuck while offroad."

denverd1
02-29-2012, 12:05 PM
KH96, send me that link! Any pros/cons on warn uprights?
Jensen, what have ya got and how much?

4wheelparts, thanks for the warranty tips. But I don't think I fit into either of your categories. While i'd like to save coin this certainly isn't my last $350 till payday. I want a reliable winch. I'm willing to spend the money if its worth it. I'm NOT interested in an overpriced winch thats full of parts from China (sounds like Warn?) hence the thread.
What other names are worth mentioning???

Any other comments on Warns sucking juice? seems like amperage draw would be a factor but none mention it...

Cable or synthetic rope?

Looks like for $4-500 I could have a well made winch with some sort of warranty. or a rebuilt "name brand".

We had a Warn in our farm jeep for as long as I can remember. It was a farm truck, not a wheeler... We moved it to the bed of the jeep and ran the cable to a round bale hay spike. I worked the PISS outta that thing (moving 50-100 bales on some days; 2000 lbs each) and I think we replaced the brushes once in about 8 or 10 years. So i'm familiar with older Warns, just not the new stuff. Still undecided...

Mudderoy
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I just bought a ENGO www.engousa.com 9000 for $300 brand new out the door. According to shoot out they killed Warn. The Company is Long Beach Wa. They said they will stand by every part of the winch, no matter. It came with a sealed water tight control box, 1 year warranty and lifetime on the winch it self.

Hey! Keep us up to date on how this winch works out. Love the sound of it so far. :cop:

Kenny811
02-29-2012, 12:16 PM
I will post up how the winch does as soon as I use it. Its on my 93 build, but its not ready for the trail just yet. But the beauty of a winch is, that its unique to the individual using it. Some guys think Warn sucks, other guys don't. You find what works for you and use it!!

denverd1
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey! Keep us up to date on how this winch works out. Love the sound of it so far. :cop:

Me too....

Also, pic #3 on this page is pretty impressive. How waterproof is a definite concern...
http://www.kingonewinch.com/

denverd1
02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Kenny, shootout result page looks to be dead. Any other info?

Kenny811
02-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I have the PDF article written in Off Road. I will get it and send it to you. It was a pretty cool shoot out for the different winches.

Kenny811
02-29-2012, 06:23 PM
You can try this,

https://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/5150/media_document/4538/WinchShootout.pdf?1307119029

JENSSEN
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Probably the same article I have in PDF but no idea how to post it lol

XJMJeep
02-29-2012, 10:44 PM

I'm very interested in knowing more about this winch.
I like buying local and American made makes it even better for me :patriot:
Please let us know how it works out for you, I'm looking to buy a winch for my XJ.

cantab27
02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
your jeeps green mike...you dont need a winch

XJMJeep
02-29-2012, 11:08 PM
your jeeps green mike...you dont need a winch

It's not for me Wayne, its for helping our red jeep brothers & sisters out of the jambs they inevitably get themselves into :rotfl2:

07Negative
02-29-2012, 11:49 PM
I think the rough saying is go with a winch that is 2.5-3 times the weight of the rig.
For the money. That Smitty cant be beat. I would say Warn is worth the coin. But if your like many of us. That Smitty would do almost if not all you asked it to.
Take what you read out of a magazine almost like it has no merit. You don't know if they are getting paid to publish crap. Most of em are.
Like many things. It's all about trial and error. Try something out. If it doesn't work out. Don't buy it again.

4.3LXJ
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
I think the rough saying is go with a winch that is 2.5-3 times the weight of the rig.
For the money. That Smitty cant be beat. I would say Warn is worth the coin. But if your like many of us. That Smitty would do almost if not all you asked it to.
Take what you read out of a magazine almost like it has no merit. You don't know if they are getting paid to publish crap. Most of em are.
Like many things. It's all about trial and error. Try something out. If it doesn't work out. Don't buy it again.

Unfortunately, I did buy a cheap winch, a Mile Marker, which was a good deal at the time. I got the 9K for the price of the 8K. But it failed on me when I had my wife with me which turned out to be a blessing. She said you need a good winch honey. So I went down and bought a Warn 9.5ti I haven't been disappointed.

When you buy a winch, there are some things you need to consider besides total capacity. Physical size, how much air it blocks from the radiator and a big one in my book is line speed. If you use one very much, that becomes a big convenience factor. There are two winches that I know of with good line speed. Warn and the high end Superwinch

Mudderoy
03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, I did buy a cheap winch, a Mile Marker, which was a good deal at the time. I got the 9K for the price of the 8K. But it failed on me when I had my wife with me which turned out to be a blessing. She said you need a good winch honey. So I went down and bought a Warn 9.5ti I haven't been disappointed.

When you buy a winch, there are some things you need to consider besides total capacity. Physical size, how much air it blocks from the radiator and a big one in my book is line speed. If you use one very much, that becomes a big convenience factor. There are two winches that I know of with good line speed. Warn and the high end Superwinch

lol, I'm getting mixed signals from that story!

The air flow issue is a good reminder. A winch may point out weaknesses in your engine cooling system. Keep that in mind as you budget for a winch. :drinking:

4.3LXJ
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
lol, I'm getting mixed signals from that story!

The air flow issue is a good reminder. A winch may point out weaknesses in your engine cooling system. Keep that in mind as you budget for a winch. :drinking:

I didn't plan that, but it sure worked out well. We were on Carlyle road, a place I have posted on here in "We made it there and back" Severe erosion and heavy use has taken it from a 2 to a 4 trail rating. Didn't have to use it this time though.

Kenny811
03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Me too....

Also, pic #3 on this page is pretty impressive. How waterproof is a definite concern...
http://www.kingonewinch.com/
From the looks of the box, I think I could drop it in the pool and it would be fine. All the wires are sealed with liquite fittings. But the box can also be mounted up under the hood. Mine sits right on top of the winch.

denverd1
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/129_1107_massive_multi_winch_shootout/viewall.html

Here's the article. I'm typically leary of media when it comes to stuff like this. But this looks to be somewhat objective.

denverd1
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Great article IMO. The ENGO was ranked 4th out of 10. Performance was very similar to the higher priced winches (there was 11 categories). Engo is the only winch in the top 5 that's priced under $1000 And is priced at about 1/3 of the price. I'll be ordering one.

cantab27
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
mine came with the warn 950....... gonna sell it and go super winch...faster for winch comps...just broke the little lever on mine pita......had a 1200 t max on the xj...drowned it, wasnt sealed up that well..cheap china pos, but did work well when re built.....

XJ4IV
03-01-2012, 09:35 PM
SOoooooo anybody have a warn that they can part out? I paid 75$for mine on CL but after rebuilding it and doing some wiring with it I have also found tha the previous owner got rid of it cause he screwed up the free spool lever on it! he grinded it to make it slide a little better but he grinded the wrong portion and also took to much out and now it will not engage without me holding the lever over...
I checked with warn and the will ONLY sell the whole end housing and not just the lever...

xjmarc
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I had a Superwinch, loved it and now have a Warn, also love it. No issues in several years. My brother has a smittybuilt that has been trouble since day one. Even sent it back once. It rufuses to stay engauged. If you hold the lever you can use it but that's just not safe. And it's slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow . I thought milemarkers were slow till I saw these. I've known several who've run them and it's about a 50/50 split on good and bad experiences. My Warn cost a little more but I know when I'm in BFE and need it it's going to work.

BlueXJ
03-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a MileMarker and it is a bit slow but has never failed me. Mine is the 12.000 version. I have used it several times to pull other out but have never been stuck myself.

mocrawlin
03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
i dont see how the warn winch wins their shootout? cause they cant use it after all their testing! sounds like warn has some influence with the editors. lol i will go with engo 9500 when i order! never did like the power hungry warns.

RTPG
03-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Unfortunately, I did buy a cheap winch, a Mile Marker, which was a good deal at the time. I got the 9K for the price of the 8K
Was that the older E9000 by chance?

4.3LXJ
03-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Was that the older E9000 by chance?

Yes, it was. Crapped out one month out of warranty. I kicked it around on the shop floor for a few years not wanting to throw it away. I got the tools out and threatened to fix it and it now works. :out:

RTPG
03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes, it was. Crapped out one month out of warranty. I kicked it around on the shop floor for a few years not wanting to throw it away. I got the tools out and threatened to fix it and it now works. :out:
Common issues with those are the Permanent Magnet Motor - somewhat cheap to fix. Most starter and alternator rebuild places can fix them. It's been a while but I think the last one I had rebuilt was $90+/-

Solenoids as well. I am still looking for a source for direct replacement solenoids. Other option is to upgrade the whole solenoid box. Not that cheap and IMO spend $299.95 (or less) for a whole new winch with new warranty.

The newer Mile Marker winches are much better. I used to only run the SEC9500 on my personal Land Cruiser.

xjmarc
03-08-2012, 10:20 PM
i dont see how the warn winch wins their shootout? cause they cant use it after all their testing! sounds like warn has some influence with the editors. lol i will go with engo 9500 when i order! never did like the power hungry warns.

I've had several other brands but I love my current Warn and my voltage gauge doesn't move while using it, I have a 1100 CCA battery so that may be a factor. Doubt I'll ever buy another brand, not new anyway. After what I've seen and dealt with with my brothers, I'll never buy a Smittybuilt.

RTPG
03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
My brother has a smittybuilt that has been trouble since day one. Even sent it back once. It rufuses to stay engauged. If you hold the lever you can use it but that's just not safe.
Common issue with the some of the original Smittybilt winches. Contact Smittybilt tech support and they might send your brother a new end to his winch that should fix this issue.

I haven't seen this issue with Smittybilt in a while now so I am assuming it's been remedied.

denverd1
03-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Good point and I don't either to be honest. I see it did well in all categories, but killed a battery doing it. It wouldn't spool in or out at the end of the test.. So how is it #1?

4.3LXJ
03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Common issues with those are the Permanent Magnet Motor - somewhat cheap to fix. Most starter and alternator rebuild places can fix them. It's been a while but I think the last one I had rebuilt was $90+/-

Solenoids as well. I am still looking for a source for direct replacement solenoids. Other option is to upgrade the whole solenoid box. Not that cheap and IMO spend $299.95 (or less) for a whole new winch with new warranty.

The newer Mile Marker winches are much better. I used to only run the SEC9500 on my personal Land Cruiser.

After researching it a little, I hear the problem is likely sticky brushes. Easily fixed. Works now anyway.. Contact Mark at Payless 4X4 for aftermarket solenoids source.

Kenny811
03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Here is what my ENGO looks like mounted. Kept it low so id didnt block the radiator

mocrawlin
03-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is what my ENGO looks like mounted. Kept it low so id didnt block the radiator

looks good! that the 9000?

xjmarc
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Common issue with the some of the original Smittybilt winches. Contact Smittybilt tech support and they might send your brother a new end to his winch that should fix this issue.

I haven't seen this issue with Smittybilt in a while now so I am assuming it's been remedied.

He's had it a while, few years now I guess, so warranty is gone. He doesn't use it much, that's what I'm for so when it dies he'll just buy a better one.

Kenny811
03-12-2012, 09:34 AM
looks good! that the 9000?

Yes that is a 9000

XJ Rat
03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
My suggestion is buy a used, brand name, winch. Case in point, I had a Ramsey 9500# on the front of my TJ. I bought it from a kid who wanted that off road look. He had it for exactly three months and decided to get a lift kit instead. The winch was never used. I paid $415.00 for a new, name brand winch (granted, that was a few years ago. But kids, winches, and Jeeps are all still out there).

I had that winch mounted on my TJ for 10 years. It got used a lot and never let me down.

4.3LXJ
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
My son bought a used Warn for $400

denverd1
03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks great Kenny!

4.3LXJ
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
You all might want to check this out. Quadratec has their own winch now.

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/quadratec_exclusive/quadratec_winch/

Dredwolf
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on purchasing a winch. I see the Engo's have won fans, and I know the Warn's are awesome.

I have a friend with a Smittybuilt that is getting noisy. And then there is Quadratec, and they have introduced a new model?

Anybody know who is behind their winches?

RTPG
11-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on purchasing a winch. I see the Engo's have won fans, and I know the Warn's are awesome.

I have a friend with a Smittybuilt that is getting noisy. And then there is Quadratec, and they have introduced a new model?

Anybody know who is behind their winches?
Without getting into all the details... there are only 2, maybe 3 places in CHINA that most of the inexpensive winches are made.

IMO: you should buy a winch from a retailer that has been around for a long time in-case you have a warranty issue and you should by a winch made by a manufacturer that has a SOLID warranty.

4WheelingPlus has been around since 1996 and has direct access to most winch manufacturers, where-as other "retailers" buy from a warehouse.

Dredwolf
11-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Without getting into all the details... there are only 2, maybe 3 places in CHINA that most of the inexpensive winches are made.

IMO: you should buy a winch from a retailer that has been around for a long time in-case you have a warranty issue and you should by a winch made by a manufacturer that has a SOLID warranty.

You weren't joking....a little Google work, and you can find the plants, they even seem to be in the same province. You can almost figure out the manufacturers from the gear ratio.

Dredwolf
11-10-2012, 11:30 PM
A little data comparison, and it seems MileMarker and Quadratec winches share many common specifications. Interesting.

I will see what else I can dig up.

Ron is right about picking a quality retailer, too.

Mudderoy
11-11-2012, 06:22 AM
A little data comparison, and it seems MileMarker and Quadratec winches share many common specifications. Interesting.

I will see what else I can dig up.

Ron is right about picking a quality retailer, too.

I think it depends on your need. If having it fail isn't going to be an issue then you can save some money. Then if it runs for years you've made the right decision, or if it runs every time you need it and you have to repair it when you don't.

If failure is not an option, then spend some cash. I went with the SuperWinch. Not as expensive as the Warn, but a good solid winch.

I haven't used mine enough to say if it was a good decision or not, but I can say it works every time I use it.

gary63
11-11-2012, 09:24 AM
A name is ok but if it is to big or heavy or draw to much amps. or so slow you have to set up camp to wait for it to pull you then it is nogood.I look for amp. draw weight and speed
I run 12000 on all 3 of my rigs not becouse my rigs are heavy but the one I'm pulling out are heavy and in deep mud. and I can pull with 1 line for longer pull and I don't have to pull all the line out to get 8000 or 10000 lb. of pull. you will lose pulling power with every rap of line on the drum.and you draw more amps if you are at the winches limit.also I can run line from a 8000 witch is alittle smaller and get more line if I need it.So figer out what it will be use for and were you are going to mount it and how much power you can supply (battery,alt.) make alist of winches and good luck.

LizardRunner
11-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Gary said it. I'm a fan of 12000 lb winches too. Try out this article; The great winch shoot out. https://cdn.shptrn.com/media/mfg/5150/media_document/4538/Lifetimearticle.pdf?1342639499

denverd1
11-15-2012, 01:10 PM
went a tad bigger on mine too with a 10000 lb

aquickmopar
11-15-2012, 07:32 PM
I bought a Smittybilt H2O 10,000LB Winch, its there amphibious technology winch. Every thing on the winch is sealed and water tight. I bought it from 4WD.com right after they stopped there lifetime warranty for an extra $50 bucks. Now for the extra $50 you get a 5 year warranty NO Questions asked replacement if it can't be fixed. I went ahead a got that extra warranty. Figured id rather be covered for an extra 5 years. I've used it often and have never had a problem. It has always been there for me when I needed it. Has a Low amp draw. Fairly fast line speed. Not super fast but definitely good enough. It has a magnetized remote which is a pretty cool feature. Comes in handy often. And also got a free winch cover to keep it covered when not in use. I paid $550 shipped to my door. I highly recommend it.

cantab27
11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
i dont need one ..i dont get stuck...........:o:rolleye0012:

gary63
11-15-2012, 10:12 PM
hay look I just saw a pig flying lol

RTPG
11-15-2012, 11:46 PM
hay look I just saw a pig flying lol
:smiley-laughing021: :smiley-laughing021: :smiley-laughing021:

LizardRunner
11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
i dont need one ..i dont get stuck...........:o:rolleye0012:

True, you get drowned.

denverd1
11-16-2012, 02:00 PM
:rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
True, you get drowned.

Even Waynes winch needs a snorkel:sign0181:

cantab27
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
just like ya diffs and such..ya should pull ya winch down after a good swimming session..get to know how they work before ya need it, have a pay with it in ya driveway. they can be dangerous so read up about them... a once over now and again is a good thing , don't have it sitting on ya rig for six months not using it cause ya know when ya really need it it wont go and it will be something stupid and easy to fix if ya were in ya shed..

Dredwolf
11-17-2012, 10:39 PM
just like ya diffs and such..ya should pull ya winch down after a good swimming session..get to know how they work before ya need it, have a pay with it in ya driveway. they can be dangerous so read up about them... a once over now and again is a good thing , don't have it sitting on ya rig for six months not using it cause ya know when ya really need it it wont go and it will be something stupid and easy to fix if ya were in ya shed..

This is very true....because a winch "sits" so much waiting to be used, like a spare, you have to make time to service it. I had a Ramsey years ago on my CJ, and had "winch maint." on the service schedule. Just like washing the CJ after a muddy ride, I re-spooled the winch after every "real" use, and made a point of using it around the farm to keep it checked out. I used a old horse saddle pad as a weight for the cable.

I still have a scar at the knuckle of my little finger from almost losing it to a snapped winch cable over 20 years ago, I had a heavy insulated leather work glove on too. Had a buddy with a Sahara YJ and another Ramsey, but he loved to go mudding, and got stuck a lot. That winch got used at least once a week, but he never took care of it. Late one cold winter night, with his brother stuck in another YJ on on a power line trail, he was trying to use the winch and cable like a snatch strap:bang:when I was digging my snatch strap out of tool crate in the CJ. I got the strap and was carrying it in my right hand towards the impending disaster like an idiot:o when the cable broke....somehow I managed to throw up my arm with the 30', 3" wide strap in my hand when the cable hit.:shocker:

I got 15 stitches for my trouble, but not before we got the brother's YJ unstuck, and my girlfriend of the time had to drive my CJ out.

Winches can be deadly...I plan a regular maintenance interval for the one I purchase for the XJ, plus the recovery kit with the weight.

Mudderoy
11-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Even Waynes winch needs a snorkel:sign0181:

Wayne's jeep needs on board air, not for airing up tires, but for the life support system.

gary63
11-18-2012, 09:22 AM
scuba tanks

4.3LXJ
11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Water wings :D

4x4Dalton
11-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Periscope and a small out board motor :)

Sent from my bulletproof iPhone using the Flapmyjaws app :)

4.3LXJ
11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Periscope and a small out board motor :)

with its own snorkel :pray:

gary63
11-18-2012, 09:42 AM
scuba tanks and water wings and now if we can get some fins we would have a
perfect xj for Wayne and bigjim. lol:rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
11-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I expect to see it next summer. If so, we can take it for a swim in Fordyce Creek (river)

RTPG
11-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I keep spitting my beer out. I must stop reading this thread.

:smiley-laughing021: :smiley-laughing021: :smiley-laughing021:

cantab27
11-18-2012, 09:50 PM
go through one little puddle and ya never hear the end of it .....was a big puddle but and may have been more than once

4.3LXJ
11-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I still think you just should got one of these

http://youtu.be/_lXV3p_c5PU

denverd1
11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
lol!!! you guys are killing me.. Wayne you might need a outboard motor with a mud prop on by the time its all said and done!

4x4Dalton
11-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Nah we will just get a bunch of sheet metal and build a boat around his jeep. That way he can float when the starter goes out :)

Dredwolf
11-19-2012, 06:22 PM
How about rigging a bunch of junkyard airbags as emergency flotation systems?

Or surround it with a zodiac.

cantab27
11-19-2012, 07:30 PM
man it wasnt even fitted at the time of last deluxe wash......:o

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/waterrat002-1.jpg

in saying that heres what my old 1200 Chinese jobbie looked like after 6 months...

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0459.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0448.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0447.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0462.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0463.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0470.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0469.jpg

:rolleye0012:

and after playing in this stuff for two solid days the warn winch on the tj was dry inside...

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/067.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/DSC02562.jpg

snapped the rope twice and burnt the solenoids but nothing we couldn't fix out there....

so back on topic.......... ya get what ya pay for........:D

4.3LXJ
11-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Here you go Wayne, this is how it is done

http://youtu.be/DNSoMjTJ4qY

Dredwolf
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
so back on topic.......... ya get what ya pay for........:D

Understood. If I was gearing up a rig for the Ultimate Adventure, I would find a 8274, or something along that line. When I was a teen in my first 4x4, I dreamed of being able to pay cash for my first winch, instead of paying my Dad back.

Warn is the THE winch, I get it. But if I had enough for a Warn in the budget, I might get a Ramsey, because I never could afford one of those when I was younger either. I got a MileMarker back then, it worked, it was sold on the truck. I eventually got a Warn, but none of the winches I had ever let me down. Maybe I was lucky.

But I am trying to get a rolling, useable rig that I can wheel in 2013 with a winch installed, and if I can save a little cash on the winch, I can buy other products. Like a winch AND a recovery kit, instead of just a winch, wait to go wheeling, and then maybe a recovery kit. I do want a good warranty, so that counts.

It may sound foolish, but in building my XJ, I want to try out products that work, but may not always be the mainline, like an OX locker instead of an ARB.

So, anybody bought a Quadratec, or have opinions on the new integrated solenoid winch they are offering? Looks a lot like a MileMarker, based on the specs.

cantab27
12-04-2012, 12:19 AM
i hear what ya saying.....thats why i wheel jeeps down here ..different//

food for thought ...these are are great recovery tool......

http://www.roughgear.com/arb/handwinch.html

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/hand_winch.jpg

cheaper ..easy to maintain...can pull you sideways and backwards..

heaps of makes thats the first image on that there google thingy'''....

thoughts

4.3LXJ
12-04-2012, 10:33 AM
What do you call those Wayne?

Carves
12-04-2012, 02:22 PM
@ 4.3LXJ

Commonly called a Tirfor ... Tirfor being the main / original brand

Slow to use ... a ton of junk to carry ... but a real handy piece of kit if you dont mind a slow, controlled, recovery.

As cantab mentioned ... great recovery tool ... Wish I still had mine.

Griphoist Tirfor Portable Manual USAR Hoist for Lifting and Pulling - YouTube

4.3LXJ
12-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks Carves. I used to use what we call a "come along" otherwise known as a ratchet hoist. I had such a fantastic Jeep I sold the Warn 8274 and used the come along and a twenty foot chain.

Dredwolf
12-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks Carves. I used to use what we call a "come along" otherwise known as a ratchet hoist. I had such a fantastic Jeep I sold the Warn 8274 and used the come along and a twenty foot chain.

:crazy:

If mine was that awesome, I'd just use the HiLift, but.......

Dredwolf
12-09-2012, 06:55 AM
I wish I could find a real review of the new Quadratec Q9500i, I suspect it's actually a MileMarker.

Wanting to go with synthetic line to save weight, etc, and I keep coming back to the Engo line as a "first winch" on this rig.

Wayne, which Chinese brand had most of the last mudhole you plowed through inside of it?

Mudderoy
12-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Understood. If I was gearing up a rig for the Ultimate Adventure, I would find a 8274, or something along that line. When I was a teen in my first 4x4, I dreamed of being able to pay cash for my first winch, instead of paying my Dad back.

Warn is the THE winch, I get it. But if I had enough for a Warn in the budget, I might get a Ramsey, because I never could afford one of those when I was younger either. I got a MileMarker back then, it worked, it was sold on the truck. I eventually got a Warn, but none of the winches I had ever let me down. Maybe I was lucky.

But I am trying to get a rolling, useable rig that I can wheel in 2013 with a winch installed, and if I can save a little cash on the winch, I can buy other products. Like a winch AND a recovery kit, instead of just a winch, wait to go wheeling, and then maybe a recovery kit. I do want a good warranty, so that counts.

It may sound foolish, but in building my XJ, I want to try out products that work, but may not always be the mainline, like an OX locker instead of an ARB.

So, anybody bought a Quadratec, or have opinions on the new integrated solenoid winch they are offering? Looks a lot like a MileMarker, based on the specs.

I think we all have to make compromises, otherwise we'd all have name brand everything on our rigs, and those $300 each u-joints.

cantab27
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I wish I could find a real review of the new Quadratec Q9500i, I suspect it's actually a MileMarker.

Wanting to go with synthetic line to save weight, etc, and I keep coming back to the Engo line as a "first winch" on this rig.

Wayne, which Chinese brand had most of the last mudhole you plowed through inside of it?

yeah go with the rope ..nice on the hands and safer......ever seen that wirer rope let go.........:bang:......think most the Chinese jobbies are about the same,,,,will have a look through threads ,,names slipping the brain at mo..........why dont we set up a poll.....what winch people use ,,i mean have on there rigs NOW.....let me know will set it up...keen on what the people have to say.;)......what are them smitybuilt jobs like

Dredwolf
12-10-2012, 12:01 AM
yeah go with the rope ..nice on the hands and safer......ever seen that wirer rope let go.........:bang:......think most the Chinese jobbies are about the same,,,,will have a look through threads ,,names slipping the brain at mo..........why dont we set up a poll.....what winch people use ,,i mean have on there rigs NOW.....let me know will set it up...keen on what the people have to say.;)......what are them smitybuilt jobs like

Like the idea of a poll too...I know the names I have heard Smittybuilt units called, but there are a BUNCH of them out there, and they have improved a lot.

Went to Home Depot this AM, and a 4-door JK pulls in opposite our 2003 Explorer...with a Warn M8000 and Warn bumper. We get done first, and I go out to load the truck while the wife is checking in with the kids before we head home. The winch has apparently never been connected, its got surface rust and the nuts for the motor wires are slightly rusted too.:bang:

Should have left him an offer letter...:D

cantab27
12-10-2012, 01:11 AM
was one of these bad boys

http://www.pre-maxwinch.com/showpro.asp?ArticleID=1030

just read my old post and that bit of rust and water in it was after the swim in signature pic.....jeep spent a lot of time in the drink...:o

ya can seal winch's up better i reckon ..someone chime in please...
that winch got forgotten about after that swim as i was having trans problems.....so a bit of tlc after swim would have been ok....was slow but hey never in a winch comp , done some big pulls with it and would have one again....

heres a link to pulling it down.....as you will read i knew nothing about the insides of a winch at the beginning of thread...:rolleye0012:

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5458

4.3LXJ
12-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I am not sure you want to seal them. I had a high torque starter that was sealed from the factory that went bad from the brush cage rusting away after a little mud bath or two. My thinking on this is that the sealed motors can get some water in them and if they do, the water cannot get out.

cantab27
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I am not sure you want to seal them. I had a high torque starter that was sealed from the factory that went bad from the brush cage rusting away after a little mud bath or two. My thinking on this is that the sealed motors can get some water in them and if they do, the water cannot get out.

not fully seal maybe but improve on whats on some of these cheaper ones..;)

denverd1
12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
that pre-max Wayne posted looks shockingly similar to my Engo. Even down to the remote having a similar look

Dredwolf
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
that pre-max Wayne posted looks shockingly similar to my Engo. Even down to the remote having a similar look

In my research, I found doing google searches on the gear ratio/amp draw/line speed would often get you to one of the 3-4 original Chinese manufacturers.

Thats how I came up with the conclusion that Milemarker and the Quadratec winches are the same basic winches, and there are actually only a few makers..

http://www.zhme.com/

Pay close attention to the different series of winches they offer.........

denverd1
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I remember you posting that earlier in the thread. The winch shoot out that 4wheeling mag did was a big factor in my decision. The test seemed somewhat objective, although I didn't agree with how they ranked the final results. I ended up with a winch that performed in the top 5 of 10 and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm happy with it so far.

4.3LXJ
12-10-2012, 12:56 PM
not fully seal maybe but improve on whats on some of these cheaper ones..;)

Here is some thoughts on that. I saw some vids of a south american trip that involved river crossings. Their solution was to pressurize the distributor and anything else to be kept dry. Soooooooo, why not pressurize the winch motor too? This was done with a half pound of pressure, just enough to have some air escape instead of sucking water in. Might be a good thing for swimming.

cantab27
12-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Here is some thoughts on that. I saw some vids of a south american trip that involved river crossings. Their solution was to pressurize the distributor and anything else to be kept dry. Soooooooo, why not pressurize the winch motor too? This was done with a half pound of pressure, just enough to have some air escape instead of sucking water in. Might be a good thing for swimming.

some doing that down here ,,,,,,was going to do it with the old xj....dont think i will bother with the tj...tis never going long enough..:D

Dredwolf
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Okay, just had a realization....

One of the justifications for saving some money on a winch is to use the $$ for a recovery kit, since I have very little left from my old days.

But with synthetic winch rope, what do you use for a pulley? I remember the days when a roller fairlead was an option, but now tumbled/polished hawse fairleads are standard for synthetic rope.

What about the pulleys for doubling? Or is everything so awesome that is never needed now?:D

xj4life2
12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
you use the same snatch block for wire rope and synthetic rope, The differance in the fairleads is only due to the gap created by the rollers, as a saftey factor they don't want to take the chance of it hanging up in them. I have used both types with Syn rope without issue.

4.3LXJ
12-12-2012, 06:04 PM
You can also get poly rollers for the fairlead too

Dredwolf
12-12-2012, 10:17 PM
You can also get poly rollers for the fairlead too

Saw those, by Daystar? Do they work better than a hawse?

4.3LXJ
12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
In my opinion, yes. The problem I have with a hawse is that it creates a lot of friction. The synthetic line does not like it. I understand the hawse is smooth, but it is aluminum and can become grooved eventually in the corners. Then you have to get a new one. One of the things about a fairlead is that the rollers must be smooth too or you can have problems snagging the line. So, eventually when I get synthetic line I will get the poly rollers to go with it

cantab27
12-13-2012, 05:50 PM
me be liking the fair-lead ..a part from the dude driving its the only bit of bling bling on the pig
........:love0007:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeep%20wrangler%20touch%20up/SAM_1622.jpg

Dredwolf
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
In my opinion, yes. The problem I have with a hawse is that it creates a lot of friction. The synthetic line does not like it. I understand the hawse is smooth, but it is aluminum and can become grooved eventually in the corners. Then you have to get a new one. One of the things about a fairlead is that the rollers must be smooth too or you can have problems snagging the line. So, eventually when I get synthetic line I will get the poly rollers to go with it

Good points, like I said, a roller fairlead was optional way back on Warn and Ramsey. Wondered if they would work with synthetic

Dredwolf
12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
So does anyone have a clear understanding of the warranty for the Smittybuilt models?

My stuff from Detours arrived, and its time to buy a winch before I start building the bumper.

Engo's appear to be low stock right now, so the X20 series from Smittybuilt is a consideration.

Wish I could find more hard reviews on the Quadratec's, I still believe they are Milemarkers based on the specifications.

Whichever I get, I promise to post a solid review, before install, and after install and some hard use both on the trail and the farm.

cantab27
12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
ask some vendors......a few sell em...

4.3LXJ
12-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Mark from Payless says it is excellent

Dredwolf
12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Mark from Payless says it is excellent

We'll see how one works for me, a Smittybuilt X20 8K is on its way.

Now to try and sort out the synthetic line questions, and which synthetic is the best.

LizardRunner
12-14-2012, 12:29 PM
The info on this site should be helpful in deciding which synthetic rope to use. http://www.applied-fiber.com/

Dredwolf
12-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Geeze....now I have to sort through the data to decide on a synthetic line.

Anyone got recommendations?

Dredwolf
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, this showed up today....

http://i.minus.com/itoMlniB02fJi.JPG

It MIGHT be able to survive Wayne "semi-arid" excursions, so we'll have to see. :D

denverd1
12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Looks good. Curious what a "would" motor is though? i'm always amused at what makes it through final proof on some things...

Dredwolf
12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Looks good. Curious what a "would" motor is though? i'm always amused at what makes it through final proof on some things...

Its the little winch that we hope "would" work.

Engrish at work.

denverd1
12-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Its the little winch that we hope "would" work.

Engrish at work.

onry the finest engrish of course

Kenny811
12-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Kenny, shootout result page looks to be dead. Any other info? Ok I know this a very late reply to the post back in February. I have used the Engo winch a few times and I have no complaints at all. The line speed isn't going to break speed recorders but it fast enough to get me up & out of what I got into. For the price I paid brand new $300 out the door, I would but 3 more today if I needed them. Its nothing against Warn or any other brands, but for the price its a much better deal.

cantab27
01-01-2013, 01:07 AM
is it fitted yet.............

what about now

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
is it fitted yet.............

what about now

No. :smiley-laughing021:

I am building a bumper from a Detours Backbone to mount it in. Have the design, but trying to source the steel without buying 25' sticks.

But I am working the garage today, I'll crack the box and check it out, and take some pics....will that tide you over?

cantab27
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
lol..............that will do brother

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
lol..............that will do brother

And so it begins.....went to unpack the winch and take pictures while doing so....and the "waterproof" solenoid box has a nice knuckle sized hole smashed in the back of it where apparently when the box went down the roll belt (70lbs+ items, used to work at UPS), the young people sorting did not follow the training videos.

So now begins the odyssey of getting the broken solenoid box replaced.... :bang:

But the box does state the H20 series has a lifetime warranty...:rolleyes:, so now I have that confirmed.

4.3LXJ
01-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Well, now we get to see what the warranty is. Where to you get it warrantied?

Dredwolf
01-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, now we get to see what the warranty is. Where to you get it warrantied?

My wife bought the winch as a Christmas present/late anniversary gift from 4WheelParts with help from a friend, I was originally going to purchase from one of the forum vendors.

I will first try to engage 4WheelParts, then try to go through Smittybuilt.

I'm pretty tolerant on these things, don't even mind paying something because I did not spot the damage prior the same day it was delivered.

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Contacted 4WheelParts, they asked for pictures of the damage, and I provided them. Less than 24 hours later, I got a customer service response that they would dispatch UPS to retrieve the first shipped winch, and ship a "fresh" one to me.

As plus, the customer service rep also included her direct e-mail address, and responded to my questions about taping the box (since I don't have a banding machine at the house :rolleyes:) within 30 minutes.

Maybe this will turn out well.:pray:

4.3LXJ
01-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I have always had good service from 4 Wheel Parts

cantab27
01-04-2013, 09:34 PM
thats good service.....make sure to give 4wheeling plus a nice wee write up so others know of good service......now wheres the pics:D

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes, o wise and demanding Wayne....

You can see from the packing foam this thing took some hard hits...
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3397

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3395

Kinda hard for a waterproof solenoid to be waterproof with a crack in it.
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3396

cantab27
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
dude im laid up for a bit ,,so yeah you dont know demanding yet.......would it not come back to the shipping company ??

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
dude im laid up for a bit ,,so yeah you dont know demanding yet.......would it not come back to the shipping company ??

Yeah, it does...in this case 4WheelParts is filing with the shipping company, UPS for me. They will request UPS to pick up the damaged one from my house.

Unlike receiving freight trucks, with UPS they are not always there to wait while you inspect the shipment before accepting it.

cantab27
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
should have got a warn.........:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

just as well you opened box....its a wee ways before install ya have bumper to sort..?

Dredwolf
01-04-2013, 10:47 PM
I have Detours Backbone that I will build a bumper around. I can handle the welding myself, except for the couple of tube pieces. Trying to decide if some of the work I need to do, combined with several custom tube bumpers and 2 CJ cages that a few close friends need done could justify a tubing bender purchase to knock out the work that is needed. A welder/fabricator friend is trying to recover from some bad life events, starting over, has a shop on his new property, and salvaged most of his welding gear, but needs a bender since he lost access to the one he was using. I have helped him out before, and he is always on time paying me back, plus "gentleman's interest" of his own violation.

During one of the rainy days we had lately, I decided to open the box and inventory the contents, actually read the instructions :shocker: and see if I needed to do anything to accommodate a remote switch on the dash somewhere.

Glad I did it now, instead of once the bumper was done.

cantab27
01-04-2013, 11:39 PM
remote switch is a good idea......i have one and when in comps i just get us stuck winch man hooks up i stay dry in cab.......but are real handy for self recovery.....buy the bender.....go on i dare ya;)

4.3LXJ
01-05-2013, 12:02 AM
HUM WEE Jr has a remote too. Carry a spare battery for it.

cantab27
01-05-2013, 12:26 AM

I have a switch on dash for winch:o

OrangeXJ
01-05-2013, 07:44 AM

I have a wireless remote thats a good idea

Dredwolf
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a wireless remote thats a good idea

How much delay with those?

I was thinking of one of the panels from http://www.12voltguy.com/ IF I can find a spot to install it.

4.3LXJ
01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I used to have mine wired up inside. No delay. None with the wireless either

gary63
01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
no delay with the wireless and make it easer if you are doing the vhookup on your ouwn.

Dredwolf
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
So you can do a dash panel and wireless? Might give that a look.

Still waiting on UPS to deliver the new one.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
It is possible. You want to make sure a switch is not on when you activate the wireless though

denverd1
01-09-2013, 09:54 AM
http://www.12voltguy.com/images/T/xctmp5XqDHY.png
you could wire one of these to your remote
http://www.12voltguy.com/images/T/xctmpGjh0oD.png

Ahh I get it.. BOTH dash and remote. i'm sure it could be done!

Dredwolf
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, 4WheelParts did well. The UPS guy dropped off a replacement and picked up the damaged one.

I just opened the box, and all is as it should be. Now to order a panel...

Is there a "universal" winch remote?

cantab27
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
thing with remotes if a couple in the crew have got em watch ya fingers....can interfere with your remote....

Dredwolf
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Thought I would post up some pics of the X20 after I unboxed it today. Bolts included appear decent, remote has a magnet on it that may prove handy.
Fit and finish appear pretty good, but I am still trying to figure out the "Series Would Motor"...:rolleye0012:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3414

How many winches use this small, pin-style connection?
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3415

Not sure if I like this or the handle with the ball on it....:confused:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3412

Heat-sink styled end-cap on "Series Would Motor"...gotta love Engrish..:smiley-laughing021:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3411

The whole package....this time, without a busted solenoid box...:thumbsup:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3413

4.3LXJ
01-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Series wound motor is OK Engrish. They all are including the Warn. It just means the whole armature is used instead of only part. As far as the pins are concerned, all of them have something similar. it is just the details that change.

Kenny811
01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Thought I would post up some pics of the X20 after I unboxed it today. Bolts included appear decent, remote has a magnet on it that may prove handy.
Fit and finish appear pretty good, but I am still trying to figure out the "Series Would Motor"...:rolleye0012:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3414

How many winches use this small, pin-style connection?
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3415

Not sure if I like this or the handle with the ball on it....:confused:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3412

Heat-sink styled end-cap on "Series Would Motor"...gotta love Engrish..:smiley-laughing021:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3411

The whole package....this time, without a busted solenoid box...:thumbsup:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=3413 Very Nice!! Now you will have to post pic's on the mounting. And I like to ask guys why they went with cable instead of rope, the opinions are endless. So why did you go with cable?

Dredwolf
01-21-2013, 09:48 PM
..... And I like to ask guys why they went with cable instead of rope, the opinions are endless. So why did you go with cable?

It's what came on it.

:smiley-laughing021:

I have a good bit of "farm chores" to see if the winch will help with (and test my bumper), so I figured I would abuse cable first.

The plan is that if the X20 helps that much, a 12K will be in the works for my K20, and I'll switch to rope.

denverd1
12-10-2016, 01:17 PM
I've got an old Warn 8000lb I still need to mount on my jeep. If all you were doing it rolling weight across flat ground or up onto a trailer then yeah, 5k lbs would be fine. However, when you need it you are either stuck in mud or in a steep incline trying to get over a ledge/rock so that adds a lot of resistance to the pull so you aren't just pulling 4k lbs of vehicle anymore. I've heard that you need a winch with at least double the weight capacity of your vehicle to be on the safe side.

I remembered seeing this on another forum, might be worth considering. I can send you the link if you want.

"Warn 8274 upright
As most of you know, awesome winch. IMO, best ever made. Holds 150' of line instead of the 100' the laydowns hold. Fast line speed, and pulls like a beast. I've never mounted it, but have spent the last 2 weeks cleaning the grime off, changing the oil, painting the fairlead and hook, etc. The new ones sell for $1800 or so. I want $500. It has everything, even remote. I can show you how to hook up an incab remote if you want. I have an in cab on mine and one mounted inside the grill.

Trades? Maybe? 44 mag pistol, wide track CJ axels with 4.10s or 4.56's (ready to roll), hmmm, regear my axels?

PS the wood plate on top was just to hold the spool in place until I got the fairlead on. I have tested it, smooth in smooth out. Have NOT put a hard pull on it, though, cause I've never mounted it up.

903-824-0599"

Located in Texarkana

looking back, I should've jumped on this one. The Engo works fine, but kinda pointless putting it on. My jeep is red after all. I've pulled a few people out but never pulled myself out of anything. I plan to change that soon.