PDA

View Full Version : From TX to MX in an XJ

prcjeep
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
The title is a spin off of an article I read in petersons offroad magazine,'from CA to PA in a CJ.'
As some of you may know, I'm driving 550 miles into Mexico on March 8th.(It was nice to be aquainted with ya'll) lol Just kidding! I have driven to San Miguel de Allende Mexico twice before and it is a safe trip.

To start off, I wanted to share my list of parts that I will be packing, prepared for a run in with "Justin Case."

List:
10 Gallons gas in two 5 gallon containers
Starter
Alternator
Serpentine belt
3 U-joints
6 quarts of oil & filter
4 quarts of T-case fluid(ATF Dextron III)
1 gallon of 100% coolant
3 gallons of water
ALL OF MY TOOLS! lol

Feel free to suggest other items.(Guns are 110% illegal to transport across the border![legally that is lol])

Below is a driving itinerary for the trip down... kinda long.

We will be taking lots of photos during the drive and throughout the trip so in a couple weeks they will be shared with all :D

My trip will start in Houston, Texas. My route through Texas will include Interstate Highway 10 West and Interstate Highway 35 South. The only major metro area I will travel through will be San Antonio, Texas before I arrive in Laredo, TX, the border town. This leg of the trip is 351 miles and will be driven by my girlfriend.
Once we enter Laredo we will switch drivers and then cross into Mexico and into, Nuevo Laredo. We are required to stop at the immagration office to obtain our "FMM's"(Mexico tourist permit) which is necessary if you are driving outside of the border region of 30 km's. Traveling to the interrior of Mexico requires that you drive through at least 2 customs checkpoints depending upon the route choosen. At the checkpoint, you pull up to the light and it randomly turns green or red.(Green, good! Like me Jeep! Red, bad, you're getting the full inspection.)
Once we get through the checkpoints we will be taking Carretera Federal 85 towards Monterrey, Mexico. Each of the main highways we take in mexico have two options, Libre or Cuota. Libre is free and less maintained with lots more semi-truck traffic. Cuota is a toll highway that is better maintained and significantly safer.( A cuota highway in mexico is equivalant in conditions to a state or interstate highway in the USA. A libre road is equivalant to a county road or other local highway, often only one lane each direction.
When we approach Monterrey we will take a bypass around the metro area and then merge onto the other highway we will take for 90% of the remaining trip. This portion of Driving between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey is about 225 km's(135miles).
The bypass around Monterrey will take us towards Saltillo Mexico where we merge onto Carretera Federal 57. From Monterrey to the next major metro area, San Luis Potosi, it is 447 km's(278 miles). Again we will take a bypass around San Luis Potosi.
From San Luis Potosi there is about 185 km's(115 miles) remaining to San Miguel de Allende. About 145 km's(90 miles) south on 57 we will take the exit west for Carretera Federal 111 to San miguel for the remaining 40 km's(25 miles).
The total we will spend on tolls for taking the couta's will be about $75.

Now once we get there we haven't necessarily planned events or day trips yet but part of my plan is to have bumpers fabbed for my jeep while I'm there.
Fortunately my Mom and Grandfather live in San Miguel so lodging will be free! My mom and Grandfather have both retired and live there full-time.

OrangeXJ
02-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Be carfull going around the Monterry bypass it's a speed trap. My inlaws live in Mexico and they have been stopped twice there. And the cops want cash on the spot (bribe) anywhere from $200-$500 bucks. Or off to the jail house you go.

bluedragon436
02-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Have a safe trip, and I know I def. look forward to seeing your progress pics.... I would think about picking up a CPS (crank position sensor) to throw in your box of spare parts.. Cause if any part can/will go out on the 4.0 it will be that sucker!!

4.3LXJ
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Have a safe trip. I know I wouldn't go down there without someone that knows their way around and can speak the language.

Mudderoy
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
The title is a spin off of an article I read in petersons offroad magazine,'from CA to PA in a CJ.'
As some of you may know, I'm driving 550 miles into Mexico on March 8th.(It was nice to be aquainted with ya'll) lol Just kidding! I have driven to San Miguel de Allende Mexico twice before and it is a safe trip.

To start off, I wanted to share my list of parts that I will be packing, prepared for a run in with "Justin Case."

List:
10 Gallons gas in two 5 gallon containers
Starter
Alternator
Serpentine belt
3 U-joints
6 quarts of oil & filter
4 quarts of T-case fluid(ATF Dextron III)
1 gallon of 100% coolant
3 gallons of water
ALL OF MY TOOLS! lol

Feel free to suggest other items.(Guns are 110% illegal to transport across the border![legally that is lol])

Below is a driving itinerary for the trip down... kinda long.

We will be taking lots of photos during the drive and throughout the trip so in a couple weeks they will be shared with all :D

My trip will start in Houston, Texas. My route through Texas will include Interstate Highway 10 West and Interstate Highway 35 South. The only major metro area I will travel through will be San Antonio, Texas before I arrive in Laredo, TX, the border town. This leg of the trip is 351 miles and will be driven by my girlfriend.
Once we enter Laredo we will switch drivers and then cross into Mexico and into, Nuevo Laredo. We are required to stop at the immagration office to obtain our "FMM's"(Mexico tourist permit) which is necessary if you are driving outside of the border region of 30 km's. Traveling to the interrior of Mexico requires that you drive through at least 2 customs checkpoints depending upon the route choosen. At the checkpoint, you pull up to the light and it randomly turns green or red.(Green, good! Like me Jeep! Red, bad, you're getting the full inspection.)
Once we get through the checkpoints we will be taking Carretera Federal 85 towards Monterrey, Mexico. Each of the main highways we take in mexico have two options, Libre or Cuota. Libre is free and less maintained with lots more semi-truck traffic. Cuota is a toll highway that is better maintained and significantly safer.( A cuota highway in mexico is equivalant in conditions to a state or interstate highway in the USA. A libre road is equivalant to a county road or other local highway, often only one lane each direction.
When we approach Monterrey we will take a bypass around the metro area and then merge onto the other highway we will take for 90% of the remaining trip. This portion of Driving between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey is about 225 km's(135miles).
The bypass around Monterrey will take us towards Saltillo Mexico where we merge onto Carretera Federal 57. From Monterrey to the next major metro area, San Luis Potosi, it is 447 km's(278 miles). Again we will take a bypass around San Luis Potosi.
From San Luis Potosi there is about 185 km's(115 miles) remaining to San Miguel de Allende. About 145 km's(90 miles) south on 57 we will take the exit west for Carretera Federal 111 to San miguel for the remaining 40 km's(25 miles).
The total we will spend on tolls for taking the couta's will be about $75.

Now once we get there we haven't necessarily planned events or day trips yet but part of my plan is to have bumpers fabbed for my jeep while I'm there.
Fortunately my Mom and Grandfather live in San Miguel so lodging will be free! My mom and Grandfather have both retired and live there full-time.

After having my harmonic balancer come apart on the drive home, well a harmonic balancer. Also a puller to get it off. A spare CPS sensor and extensions long enough to get to the bolts.

BlueXJ
02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
yeah x2

XJ4IV
02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
a trailer with another fully running XJ... cause the one thing that will break is what you DIDNT bring!

prcjeep
02-28-2012, 10:38 PM
After having my harmonic balancer come apart on the drive home, well a harmonic balancer. Also a puller to get it off. A spare CPS sensor and extensions long enough to get to the bolts.

What are we talking price range here?

And for the cps... If i have to a roadside fix on it, would I be able to jack down the transfer case to allow room to access the cps from above?

prcjeep
02-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Have a safe trip. I know I wouldn't go down there without someone that knows their way around and can speak the language.

Thanks! We plan on it! Driving it twice before gives me the confidence to do it myself now and as far as speaking the language, Ive got that covered. Im not 100% fluent, but can converse enough to understand and be understood.

Mudderoy
02-29-2012, 03:51 AM
What are we talking price range here?

And for the cps... If i have to a roadside fix on it, would I be able to jack down the transfer case to allow room to access the cps from above?

$40

I've never changed one that way. So dunno.

XJ4IV
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I removed one on a ZJ fairly easy without anything more than a 6 inch extension and one of those swivel attachments... Id ALSO pack 6 quarts of 5w30 motor oil and a new filter!

prcjeep
03-10-2012, 09:47 AM
motor swap done.. leaving NOW!

Brasscatz
03-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Be safe brother! Take plenty of pictures!

OrangeXJ
03-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Have a good time and be carefull

4.3LXJ
03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
This sounds familiar. Do major work and immediatly start out on a long trip

cantab27
03-10-2012, 12:34 PM
can you bring me back one of them big sick as hats.....save trip brother

prcjeep
03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Made it down here just Fine, getting a paint job and motor looked at Cuz labor is dirt cheap

XJ Wheeler
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Glad everything went well, enjoy it.

Mudderoy
03-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Made it down here just Fine, getting a paint job and motor looked at Cuz labor is dirt cheap

You're new nickname is "Lucky"

Glad, and amazed you made it.

4.3LXJ
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Glad you made it man

OrangeXJ
03-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Pics or it did not happen :rolleye0012:

prcjeep
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah yeah yeah...pics will come. So the mechanic is flushing my coolant and changing my waterpump. That's all I know so far. Also he says that ive got some major suspension issues. Lol. That could mean anything so I'm going by there this morning to find out what he considers major

Mudderoy
03-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah yeah yeah...pics will come. So the mechanic is flushing my coolant and changing my waterpump. That's all I know so far. Also he says that ive got some major suspension issues. Lol. That could mean anything so I'm going by there this morning to find out what he considers major

Have you notice any steering issues, bump steer, death wobble?

prcjeep
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Have you notice any steering issues, bump steer, death wobble?

I fixed the death wobble and bump steer right before I left

Mudderoy
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
I fixed the death wobble and bump steer right before I left

So what was the issue he found?

prcjeep
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
So what was the issue he found?

He just pointed out that I need new tie rod ends and drag link ends and that the bushings on most everything a really worn

Today my jeep is still being prepped for paint. I'm not going to be a member of the green jeep's club anymore. But hopefully not being green will reduce the amount of damage and breakage I have...

4.3LXJ
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Today my jeep is still being prepped for paint. I'm not going to be a member of the green jeep's club anymore. But hopefully not being green will reduce the amount of damage and breakage I have...

i've noticed that too. Green paint makes them break more

OrangeXJ
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Now you won't wheel it now except at the mall

Mudderoy
03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
He just pointed out that I need new tie rod ends and drag link ends and that the bushings on most everything a really worn

Oh good, well those parts are cheap here. What color are you going with?

prcjeep
03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh good, well those parts are cheap here. What color are you going with?

Victory red... gm2012 colors

KH96XJ
03-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Victory red... gm2012 colors

Isn't that considered blasphemy to other green jeeps?

Glad you are getting things worked out. I take it the spider gears swap went well?

illuminator
03-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Go red! You've been drawn over to the red side.

prcjeep
06-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Isn't that considered blasphemy to other green jeeps?

Glad you are getting things worked out. I take it the spider gears swap went well?

I havent got around to the front diff repair... I drove it down and back with the front ds out. Blasphemy... nah... its still green on the inside, I;m just working towards a school colors skeem. red and white.

Also Im going to work on uploading pictures from the trip finally. Scenary pics of the trip down, and some pictures from the painting process. Look for links in following posts