PDA

View Full Version : TNT Frame Stiffener Issue; 1/4" gap, need advice.

07Negative
02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Gotta question. Has anyone put on the TNT Customs stiffeners? I'm getting a 1/4" gap on the backside/side facing under vehicle. Anyone come across this before?
Would it be a bad ideal to fill gap w extra metal?

msmoorenburg
02-25-2012, 09:43 PM
i did and it was the seat bolts i just cut them off

07Negative
02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I've got mixed feelings about these frame stiffiners. They are on. However my stock cross member wouldn't line up after words. So I welded it until I can get more time to work on it. Then the threads are stripped in the unibody.
The difference between with or without the stiffiners is night and day. I even felt a noticeable difference if the steering.
For how simple of a mod. What a pain in the ass. And this is one of those XJ's that has a ****ing issue every time you touch it. My other 2 XJ's were like butter.
I bet the long arm kit will be a pain in the ass to install too with the way everything else has been.

4.3LXJ
02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Once you get the stiffeners on, weld the long arm on. You will like it better.

07Negative
02-26-2012, 03:52 PM
I got the stiffeners on. I wasn't able to line up the cross member with the threaded holes in frame rail on drivers side. Not sure why but since I don't care about the OEM cross member. I welded it to frame stiffener. A simple job became a pain in the ass.
I even got a new transmission mount and I couldn't get the bolts out of the transmission. I don't have air tools.

07Negative
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I can not weld on the long arm cross member. It's the TNT Customs and their belly pan wont allow me to do maintenance.

bluedragon436
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Now you got me scared to spend the money on the stiffeners... I don't need/want this aggravation if I don't have too... especially since I'll have to pay a shop to do the install since I can't weld..

Pookapotamus
02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I had the TNT siffenerz on my last jeep, installed with no issues at all, even cut them off and put them on my new jeep. They make a huge difference on the trail! This is one of the best upgrades I have done to the jeep!

07Negative
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
shit, if your not doing the work. Then you have nothing to worry about.
For the record. This particular XJ has been the biggest pain the ass out of the 3 I've owned. Nothing goes as to plan or smooth or normal or close to normal with this particular XJ. I swear this damn thing up and down every time I want to upgrade or maintain it.
As far as getting the frame stiffeners and having them on. Its night and day the difference. I started putting these on b/c I'll be installing a long arm kit and with that long arm kit I was going to do the front portion of the unibody with stiffeners as well along with the outer steering box brace and steering box spacer. Then install all my new AGR steering gear box, pump, steering shaft, and new tie rod ends. All this stuff I've been collecting for the past year in my garage.
I thought the damn stiffeners would be the easy part for me. And maybe it is and I just don't know it b/c I haven't put the other stuff on. I should have started a build thread, but I don't use photobucket so it would be pictureless.

LizardRunner
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Wowsers, this must be why I've decided to go with Detours Stiffeners/Rock Rails.

Mudderoy
02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Wowsers, this must be why I've decided to go with Detours Stiffeners/Rock Rails.

My DETOURS slyders were a lot easier to install, I think, besides I still need to get the plug welds done. In my defense I need to get the rocker pulled out prior to the plug welds.

LizardRunner
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Well Tony, you know what Larry the Cable Guy would say to that.