PDA

View Full Version : Turn Over Problem!!! Newbie needs HELP ASAP!!

XJ408
02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Yesterday my Jeep was acting a little funny. When I started it up, it felt like it was chugging to turn over then go to idle. Thinking it was nothing like an idiot that am. I continued on my day.

Now this morning, went to start up my Jeep. It didn't turn over. I pumped the gas pedal it turned over. But died when I let go of the gas pedal. I replace the starter and solenoid, TPS, and the CPS few months ago. Can't seem to figure out whats the culprit!!! Any Suggestions????

Mudderoy
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Yesterday my Jeep was acting a little funny. When I started it up, it felt like it was chugging to turn over then go to idle. Thinking it was nothing like an idiot that am. I continued on my day.

Now this morning, went to start up my Jeep. It didn't turn over. I pumped the gas pedal it turned over. But died when I let go of the gas pedal. I replace the starter and solenoid, TPS, and the CPS few months ago. Can't seem to figure out whats the culprit!!! Any Suggestions????

Do you have the old CPS? Most recently the 1999 that my daughter drives, would start run, and when you shut it off it wouldn't start. It was just crank and crank. I found that if I pushed the gas petal down just a little it would start right up. The TPS was bad. Replaced it with an old one from my 1998, it's been running fine for a few weeks now.

XJ Wheeler
02-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree, TPS. My brothers '90 was dying when you let off the accelerator, turned out to be the TPS.

XJ408
02-24-2012, 03:56 PM
i replace the TPS and CPS. Nothing.

XJ Wheeler
02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Check your engine ground?

Brasscatz
02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Mine did that on occasion. If you still need to drive it, keep feathering the gas, gently, then back out of the driveway using neutral and reverse, then just drive. See if that helps as a temp fix.

Mine would clear up and run like nothing happened after I drove it about a block's worth or so. It hasn't happened in a long time and when it did happen was when I would try to start it but it wouldn't start all the way. Now on every start, I keep the key turned a half second longer than I feel is normal and it hasn't happened since.

I'll probably wear out my starter at some point (not like I'm really cranking on it), but I consider it a band aid until I can fix it for real.

Brasscatz
02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Also, possibly fuel filter or injectors?

XJ408
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Problem solved!!!! Hopefully!!! Car battery wasn't cranking enough juice for the engine to start. Charged it, wouldn't hold charge.

Mudderoy
02-24-2012, 05:53 PM
you might want to verify that your alternator is good a well. it should be able to run the electrical without the battery.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
02-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah, because once it did start, it should stay running off the alternator even if the battery was disconnected.

XJ408
02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
I checked out the alternator and it is running the proper voltage. Thanks for all your guys helps.

Mudderoy
02-29-2012, 09:59 AM
I checked out the alternator and it is running the proper voltage. Thanks for all your guys helps.

Well good I hope your problem is solved.